Kapcsandy hits... And it hurts...

Building a collection for my two sons and I’ve been a GV member since 2008. I can’t find my past invoices, but can anyone else remember the highest price ever charged on the Grand Vin or Roberta’s?
Small allocation on 2012 GV too, so congrats to Lou as his 100 pointer is destined to sell out.

Trying to stomach a bottle man, ouch.

Maybe my kids will be willing to share a bottle!?! :wink:

Glenn - do you remember the GV club price on the Grand Vin topping $275? $300? I honestly don’t remember.

What are the prices on Grand Vin and Robertas? I’m assuming around $300-350?

Highest price for the GV and Robertas since I’ve been a GV member… First time I’ve ever had such a small allocation of the GV too…

2012 Grand Vin Cabernet Sauvignon $375
2012 Roberta’s Reserve $350
2012 Rapszodia $200
2012 Estate Cuvee $165

Ouch definitely!

Yikes. I’m guessing 2013 could be even more expensive. Could hit the $400 mark.

I hit it hard & long.
Cheap , compared to other first rate Cali-wines and a bargain compared to first rate Bordeaux.
Kapcsandy GV 100 points & Roberta’s Reserve (Merlot-read Petrus) 99 points !
I know I won’t regret it tomorrow .

And I thought I was priced out previously. God bless the free market

Ned, it may have been a worthwhile buy for you according to your own cost-benefit analysis, but I don’t think you can fairly say that $375 is “cheap[] compared to other first rate Cali-wines.” Whether going by Parker points or long-term reputation, almost all top California cabs and bordeaux blends are less expensive and most significantly so.

I’m curious if there is a market at this price that is not the Harlan/Screagle market. Why not just jump straight to $500-800? This just seems an odd price point to me. You have the top 1% of earners, then the top .01%. Maybe there are still buyers at $375 in the former group?

I understand however ,Bryant,Harlan,Screaming Eagle,Abreu,Sloan, Hundred Acre,Grace,Ghost Horse,Araujo, are all up there or above and not all 100 pointers.

Got to give props to Kapcsandy for quality.

They have great wine but those prices are off the chart (at least off my chart. At a closer to reasonable price range there are other options. Well, I do admit I love their '08. Too bad it was so enjoyable its all gone by now )

Great wines, great guy, but $375 is insane when compared to other high quality cabs just down the road. I’m guessing there won’t be a huge secondary market for these wines, even with 100 or 99 point scores. All the best to him.

I’m just guessing here, but maybe they’ve kept an eye on the secondary market and have seen their recent highly rated releases going for $375 per bottle and higher. They are simply cutting out the middle-man.

Why a smaller allocation on the 2012 GV?

i don’t know… 2012 was a sizable vintage, no? Maybe very selective sorting…

I was surprised at the small allocations of the Grand Vin compared to the Roberta’s. I also expected the pricing to be higher. I can’t afford much in this price range, but I think they are the best wines coming out of California, and the customer service is great, so I bought.

They just culled the flippers on their list in one fell swoop. I was starting to regret that I never signed up for the list but not any more. I have friends that will usually let me take a couple of bottles off of their allocations which is enough for me especially at these prices. The decision tree at these prices is between 1 and 2 bottles.