Food and drink in Orange county?

Heading down Thursday night for a wedding, any rec’s?

Marche Moderne
Playground
Broadway by Amar Santana
Shunka
Cucina Enoteca
Slater’s 50/50
Bear Flag Fish Co
Crave Cafe

Chipotle.

Taco Maria is your best bet. $59 for 4 course haute Mexican cuisine like you’ve never seen anywhere. Chef’s parents have a Mexican restaurant in Santa Ana, he trained in SF including Coi. Now does some of the most exciting food in all of LA. Not just OC. Menu changes frequently. Below is an abalone, giant clam, Santa Barbara prawn campechana. He is not shy with the spices and flavors. Wine list is short but well chosen.

Make a reservation and request to sit at the counter.
image.jpg

Jason, depends on your location and ability to get around. Marche is really good. Playground, as well, although IMO, to get the bang out of Playground that it can deliver, it’s best to go with 6-8 people so you can sample the menu, which is mostly all small plates.

I also like very much The Loft at the Montage. Would be akin to Marche, although better for ambience. if you decide to go, send me a PM.

If you’re in the Newport Beach area, then Crowbar is good, as is R and D Kitchen.

if you want some help, just PM me and I can talk live with you and help you.

Another good one is Juliette in Newport Beach.

Frankly, we could be far more help if you gave us an area (or where you are staying) and a sense of what type of dining you have in mind. Broadly speaking, among good restaurants, there are foodie/hipster places, traditional gourmet dining, waterfront scenic places, and gourmet ethnic places. What so you have in mind?

Wish I could, I’ve never been to ‘Orange’ and it’s just an in and out, my wife went to school at Chapman and this is an old college friend. I greatly appreciate the responses and handed them all over to her to figure out which would work best. I’ll try to scoot about the city to get a lay of the land in the few hours I’m there, it’s supposed to be 70 degrees, Sweet Jesus!

Where is your wife’s friend living? Where are you staying?

Laguna Cliffs Inn
North Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, Ca

Jason, then if you are in Laguna Beach, you can do The Loft (if budget allows) or even Maro Wood Fire, which is probably a mile from where you are. These would be my 2 suggestions if you don’t want to go very far.

Super casual for breakfast near your hotel is Madison Square Gardens. Think garden supply center meets art gallery meets coffee stand meets restaurant.

Nirvana Grill is excellent and walking distance from your hotel.

A high-end dining option that isn’t such a long drive from Laguna is Stonhill Tavern, inside the St. Regis Hotel. Maybe 15 minutes drive south or so.

For downtown Laguna, I’d second the recommendation of Broadway. Very wine-friendly, great stemware and wine service even when you BYO. It is in a nice spot, sort of an intersection between foodie cuisine, elegance, yet not stuffy or formal. We always BYO so I don’t know what the wine list is like, though.

If you want a place for a before or after dinner drink with a great view of the coastline, this is a good spot in south Laguna.

Day time lunch at the Loft or Driftwood Kitchen. Broadway is great. Maro for more casual. A 5:30 table at Studio will not be cheap but it it fabulous.

In case you’re in need of late night eats in Laguna Beach, Taco Loco (a little taco stand) on PCH is great. Shrimp tacos or quesadilla, swordfish and seabass tacos terrific. Not sure they serve wine. At best, some Negro Modello…but a tried and true hang. Enjoy your stay!

Echoing Steve, Broadway by Amar is a terrific place. Really good cocktail program too. A few miles north on Coast Highway is Mastro’s Ocean Club, which is recommended for steaks and seafood. The clientele can be a little plastic, but then again, that’s the area.