Wine Pairing Suggestion - Fajitas

We will be having fajitas tonight and I’d like to open some wine for our guests. Any recommendations as to what we should consider opening? I don’t keep a lot of beer nor would I expect much to be drunk if offered.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Do you have a preference for either red or white? I would suggest an off-dry Chenin Blanc. I like pairing a wine that is slightly sweet with food that is savory/spicy. Riesling could work similarly.

It would be a wonderful world if the correct answer was colheita!

My gut feeling is nothing too fancy from light reds or perhaps even rosés (or a decent but not fancy new world pinot noir?), through to bigger whites that still have enough acidity. I reckon ‘refreshing’ would be the key descriptor I’d use to avoid the food feeling heavy (though I accept what we get as Mexican food here will be nothing like the real thing).

If the dish is not too over overwhelmingly spicy, a peppery shiraz might go well with the smoky charred meats and veggies.

Champagne!

I agree with the off-dry Chenin Blanc and Riesling recommendations. German Riesling is my go-to paring for somewhat spicy food.

Although it is everyone’s favorite variety to hate, I think Sauvignon Blanc can go well with chicken fajitas. Citrusy, grassy, catpissy – you could be describing the flavor profile of a typical fajita marinade with tequila (and cilantro) in it.

Surprise to see I am the only one in the first 5 wants a red with grilled beef…

Unless i missed it, I don’t believe he specified beef. I believe fajitas can be beef, chicken, pork, or even seafood. But, even if serving beef, IMO the protein is not the only consideration. He also didn’t express a preference for either white or red.

I have definitely tried all the above, I like not slightly spicy Mexican food, but wildly hot. If I were to serve it, it would be with a pitcher of lime margaritas and forget wine. After dinner, a couple of ice cold shots of Patron. Repeat as necessary.

Didn’t say what kind of meat, but I don’t think that’s the predominant flavor in fajitas anyway.
I had fajitas and bubbles for NYE.

I did get the feeling he was limiting the suggestions to wine, though.

Zinfandel

I understood that, but I have tried, and never found anything that works. It’s like pairing a wine with sauerkraut.

Rhone-styled Rose has always worked for me with Mexican food.

I’ll add a slightly sparkling Vino Verde, like the Broadbent. Have this regularly with Chicken Enchilada Verde. Chilled Rose is my second choice.

Hmm, I actually think Riesling goes with sauerkraut – especially sauerkraut cooked in Riesling!

While I agree that a pitcher of margaritas might be the best pairing, I don’t think wine pairing with fajitas is that hard – although it depends on what you put in your fajitas, obviously. For steak fajitas, I think a peppery syrah works too.

Spatlese or Auslese!

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for the delay but I am open to either red or white.

I have decided to start with a 2012 Sandlands Chenin Blanc and a 2013 Chateau Montelena Riesling Potter Valley based on the suggestions above and what I know of the palates that may imbibe.

I also had in mind to open a Rose of Tempranillo from Gundlach, thoughts on that selection?

Margaritas.

George

[ken.gif]