TN: Some '13 Mike Smith Pinot and Syrah

SOME '13 MIKE SMITH PINOT AND SYRAH - (1/12/2015)

They say timing is everything or, like I prefer, it’s better to be lucky than good. Antonio Galloni was in town to taste Mike’s Pinots and Syrahs and I was fortunate enough to be around to taste through some of the remaining wines. They were opened and recorked with one pour missing. Notes from day 4.

• 2012 Patiné Cellars Pinot Noir Sun Chase Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Very expressive nose of cranberry, spice and flowering cannabis. Palate is on the darker end of the PN spectrum with a glycerol textured black raspberry and good balance between the fruit acid and tannin. Give a few hours decant or let it rest in the cellar for a couple years. Very good.
  • 2013 Ancillary Cellars Pinot Noir Whole Cluster Sun Chase Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Sonoma Coast mushroom, forest floor, red currant and strawberry nose. Slightly candied palate, nice richness, fine tannins. Left me wanting a little more acidity.
  • 2013 Myriad Cellars Syrah Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Dark berry, fig and loamy soil, black olive from the glass
    Blackberry, blueberry, white pepper, cocoa across the palate.
    Moderate dusty tannins. Integrated nicely after 4 days of air. Drink these before the Whole Cluster version. Solid
  • 2013 Myriad Cellars Syrah 100% Whole Cluster Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Violets, blood, peppery perfume, hint of cinnamon/allspice. Really invitingly rich nose.
    Medium weight, ripe and delicious, boysenberry and cassis. Spot on acidity.
    Firm, chalky tannins. Young, nicely structured. Winner.
  • 2013 Myriad Cellars Syrah Esther Block Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Blackberry, black olive, smoked meat, bacon fat and black pepper nose. Fruit is juicy blackberry with a spicy slightly tart mid-palate ending with crushed rock, and chalky tannins on the finish. Very good.
  • 2013 Myriad Cellars Syrah 100% Whole Cluster Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Pump up the volume.
    All the great notes of the Esther turned up a a few notches. The Whole Cluster amplifies all the wonderful olive, bacon and floral fruit notes, adds a textural complexity to the mid palate that carries through long after you swallow. 4 days open and still needs time for the tannins to integrate. Dayum, gorgeous! This wowed me like the '11 Quivet Hulda did. The Las Madres bar has been raised. Excellent.
  • 2013 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Intoxicating nose of violets, roasted meat, garrigue, green olive.
    Red/blue fruited palate, lovely texture, juicy, toasty oak.
    Chalky, prominent tannins. Fresh and lively.

2013 looks like another good year for Mike’s Syrahs.
Posted from CellarTracker

I didn’t realize Mike was the winemaker for Patiné. Someone gave me a bottle for Christmas and I didn’t think much of it at the time, except “Oh, ok… I love the Kings but that as nothing to do with wine”.

Thanks for the notes Brian.

Sure thing. Give it a try, tasty wine.

It’s almost impossible to believe possible but the Quivet Las Madres Syrah continually to best each previous year. I have been following closely since 2009 even if ever so slightly, and so seems the case once again. Just one of the most pure, balanced and delicious Syrahs available at any price. I have always preferred the style to the Myriads which tend to be spectacular.
Thanks for the report.

This afternoon I am finishing off the '13 Myriad Las Madres and Las Madres Whole Cluster that have been open for 10 days with no preservation other than being corked. Both are still showing great with little signs of oxidation or any decay whatsoever. Can’t say enough about the potential here.
[welldone.gif]

Looking forward til the release!!!