Paso Visit and Tastings by Appointment

I will be driving up to Paso this coming weekend and am looking for some ideas of places to visit as well as a question about tastings by appointment. I was thinking of making appointments at Law Estate and Villa Creek. I have never made an appointment to taste as I’ve only visited public tasting rooms. Is there any different expectation regarding purchasing wines when making an appointment vs. a public tasting room? I have never felt that I had to buy even a bottle at a tasting room since I am already paying a fee. Would the same hold true if you must make an appointment but are still paying a tasting fee? Also, my wife usually just shares my tasting is the same option allowed at appointment tastings?

Recommendations for other places to visit? I have visited the following on my previous visit (those with asterisks will get a repeat visit this time)

Oso Libre
*Tablas Creek
Caparone
*Turley
Calcareous
Epoch

Thanks everyone for any answers/recommendations. As a novice here I have truly appreciated the advice and insight of everyone on the board (ok, most everyone :wink: )

go chill with Russell at herman story. dog friendly and badass wine.

Thanks Steve. Herman Story was high on my potential visit list. So I will give that a +1.

You shouldn’t get any pressure to buy at Villa Creek or Law so I wouldn’t worry. While they are both appointment only, both see quite a few visitors and the appointment system helps vet out guests. (Notably party busses which have unfortunately become more common). I don’t think you’ll have any issue sharing a tasting either.

As far as recommendations I would definitely recommend Denner which is also appointment only. Give them a call ahead of time and I’m sure they’ll set one up - if you have any issues I would be happy to arrange it for you. ONX wines would be another interesting one to try - again appointment only at a residence (I don’t believe they have a tasting room yet) but I’m sure they would enjoy having an opportunity to pour for you and give you a chance to buy if you’re interested.

Numerous other quality producers depending on your palate: L’Aventure, Alta Colina, Lone Madrone, Herman Story, McPrice Myers and Kukkula. Halter Ranch and Adelaida are hospitable tasting rooms that many enjoy even if they’re not particularly profound wines. Le Cuvier may be an interesting place to visit too, John Munch is an old school Paso guy.

Tablas Creek, Villa Creek and Denner are the best visits in my opinion and should not be missed. From there you can explore other producers who make a variety of styles at different price points.

I recommend Shale Oak, and get an appointment at Booker

Booker is another very good producer. Definitely worth visiting. Prices have gotten up there so it’s not typically a buy for us.

Thanks for all the advice Taylor. I’m glad to know that the appointments are not much different than a public tasting room and I will enjoy having a more leisurely pace compared to a potentially busy tasting room. I have seen Denner mentioned a few times but it wasn’t clear whether you had to already be a club member to make an appointment. If I decide to put them on the list and have trouble I will PM you. Thanks for offering to help should that come up. I also have Lone Madrone on my list as we met Neil at both Tablas and his Cider House the next day. My wife loves the cider so may have to go to reload on cider and try wines at the same time :slight_smile:

Thanks Todd. Had not heard of Shale Oak so I will look into them. I have been looking at Booker and the wines intrigue me, though as Taylor mentioned their price is starting to get out of my range. My fear is I will go taste at a place like Booker and then really start blowing my budget. I’d almost like to not know that I really prefer $70 bottles :wink:

Niner has a tremendous property (with the heart shaped oak grove on the hillside) and the wines are REALLY well priced

Bristols is definitely the place to be! We planned on dropping in for 15-30 minutes… 4 hours or so later we finally got back on the road.

Tyler Elwell who is the cellar master at Tablas is making his Halcyon label wines there as well. I believe he just launched his website recently. He’s making a Loire inspired Cabernet Franc along with a sparkling and still rose. Had an opportunity to taste the 2014 from barrel, very fresh dark fruits and spring flowers. Will be interested in seeing how it develops in barrel and finally in bottle.

i would avoid booker, especially if you’re looking for a serious tasting. the girls in the tasting room (while nice to look at) are too busy posting selfies on instagram.

(this is actually true…and if you ask them about details on any of the wines, you’ll have a good laugh, particularly if you ask what the rose is made from)

Bristols is awesome. My wife loves cider but finds most mass produced ciders are way too sweet. These were right in her wheelhouse, especially the Anne Bonny.

Ok, now I might actually want to go to Booker. I always like to have at least one winery that isn’t like the rest. This might be my comic relief for the trip :slight_smile:

Booker wines are very unique, I have no idea about the tasting room but I would second going to Booker and im a big Denner fan and ive heard its good but a lot better if you are in the comus club area. I know a previous poster has offered to hook you up so I would take them up on that, if that doesn’t work out ill be happy to try and assist

I’ll add L’Aventure and Alta Colina. Alta Colina opened a new winery recently, so I haven’t been to their new spot. Their wines are great and a real value for Paso’s big boys ($38). L’Aventure’s tasting room is pretty bare bones but the wines are great, the people are nice and the site is beautiful.

I would definitely encourage you to visit Herman Story. Great wines. Great people. Great vibe. Tables Creek is another favorite and Denner is also a good one. And I can’t comment on the tasting experience, but L’Aventure and Booker are both worth checking out, for the wine itself, though I’ve found them more hit and miss than my other three suggestions.

Good suggestions already. Also worth considering are Proulx, Terry Hoage and McPrice Myers. Good wines across the board and very nice places to visit (don’t be put off by the dirt road to get to Hoage).

+1 on Hoage. Beautiful property and nice people.

In addition to many of the good suggestions above, I would add:
Linne Calodo, one of the best private tastings on the westside
“Tin City” (Marquita Crossing) Torrin, Nicora, Clos Solene and others
Underground Tasting Room: up and comer newbies Copia & Dilecta, Turtle Rock (Saxum assistant) and others. No appointments needed.