What have you learned in 2014?

With the year wrapping up, I’m reflecting on what I’ve learned this year. I’ll share my thoughts below, but I’d like to hear from others as well What have you learned this year? Or for a more targeted answer, what is the most important thing about the world of wine that you learned this year?

As I’ve mentioned in another thread, I’m new-ish to wine. My fiancee got me into wine about four years ago, and about two years ago somewhere inside my brain a switch was flipped that basically took wine from being a thing I did to spend time with her, to an obsession that consumes a healthy chunk of my free time. Major learnings this year include:

*A wealth of information - There’s just so much amazing information that I’ve stumbled upon this year, and just learning of its existence has been a huge help to growing my knowledge.

Wineberserkers - I stumbled upon Wineberserkers back in May '14 when I was reading about Rudy Kurniawan. It has been an eye opener for me in so many ways. After reading all (at the time) 190 pages or so of the Rudy thread over the course of May and June, I read the first 15 pages or so of current threads, then went to the very end of the archives and started working my way back. Any thread that had ~20-30+ posts and looked like it might catch my fancy I dug into; I’ve worked my way back to around page 600 over the last five months. I’ve received about a lifetime’s worth of knowledge already, and I can’t wait to see what you teach me next.

World Atlas of Wine - I’ve read through Burgundy, Bordeaux, and the Mosel. As I’ve had a bottle from one of those areas, it’s been fun to go back and look at the map and determine where specifically it came from. That’s really helped me connect the dots in this big wine world of ours, and also taught me that I really value the story behind the wine; where it came from, who made it, and how they made it. For me, that adds a lot of satisfaction while I’m enjoying a glass of wine.

*What I like (or, like at the moment) - Both in terms of variety, style, and age.

This board helped me understand the idea that different wines have different aging curves, and within a variety there can be many different styles.

I’d been Pobega-ing so much of my wine when in reality some of it was wine that shouldn’t have been touched for a couple years or more, based on what I believed my preferences to be. Upon learning that I started experimenting with wine that had more secondary/tertiary notes, and discovered that I’m a huge fan.

I also discovered I’m fan of New World Pinot, but in a lighter, more restrained style. This led me to…

*New producers - Before Wineberserkers I’d been exposed to a very narrow slice of the wine world; primarily Sonoma and Napa. I literally had no idea that good (great) Pinot was made in California in any region outside of Sonoma. And despite multiple trips to Sonoma, I’d also somehow never heard of some of the producers of more restrained styles, i.e. Copain and Wind Gap.

Learning about Pinot outside of Sonoma, I learned about Rhys, decided to get on the list, and was lucky enough to get an allocation for some of their fall '14 offering. I’ve also picked up some Copain to see if that strikes my fancy as well.

Thanks all for the learning experience in 2014; this board has taught me more in a year than I thought I’d learn in a lifetime. I can’t wait to see what awaits in 2015!

That is a lovely post!

I will contemplate this and see if my thick skull let anything through this year!

Cool post! We’ve got some similarities. I too came across this forum and was sucked in initially by reading on the Rudy fraud story. The wealth of information from others is what has kept me on here coming back everyday (if not hourly!). I blame the berserkers for turning my hobby into an obsession.

Oh and I can’t wait for Berserkers Day. :wink:

I learned that there is a very strong possibility that there exists a new paradigm with modern Barolo. I also learned that Adrian So is hilarious.

1. That I’m getting old…
  2. I have too much wine cellared in cases…
  3. Moving cases isn’t as easy as it used to be…
  4. It sucks getting old…

In addition to learning more about certain people, politics and perception, (across the board wine to politics), I located an encyclopedia of food and its preparation. I’m not a foodie and one of the pickiest eaters you will find. 50 percent of what is posted here, I can’t or won’t eat. If I were charged with preparing a feast or exotic food for a group, I can come up with a great menu and find out how to prepare it, all right here in Epicurean Exploits. If it’s not something that has been discussed, it only takes an hour at most to get 5 or 6 recipes and instructions, right down to what and where to purchase the needed items. Some may not have appreciated Dick Krueger’s posts on his dinners but you too may find a day you are going through nearly empty cupboards and refrigerator to come up with a tasty meal to go with a 94 BV Georges de la Tour, and when you are out of Kraft Mac & Cheese, you need to get creative. Dick was and he never seemed to have a bad meal.

Keep those pics, recipes and instructions coming.

Great topic, one that I enjoy seeing this time of year so thanks for starting it. Glad you have made your way to the community, Jason.

As to my thoughts about the year…

1. Champagne–god, I am thrilled to have found this stuff. Buying into them has allowed me to find another expression of wine that I have just fallen for, in what seems a sustained path ahead too. And in finding it, I have been forced to balance and re-think my purchases of still wines, which has created better balance in my own cellar.

2. Alcohol–I’m a year older and I can see how the presence of it affects me more quickly. Thus, I continue to enjoy and seek lower ABV wines, for both the balance I want through lower ABV and through giving my body a break. Drinking stuff in the 12s and 13s of ABV has been a fun ride, one I think I am ready to stay on for the long term now.

3. Critics–I have reinforced my appreciation and respect for the greater wine community, for their input, tasting notes and commentary into the realm of wine. I do see the value of the critic now more clearly, for those who need that perspective to find their own way in what is a large world of wine, as much as I did many years ago. I simply wish we would all do away with putting scores on wines and instead let the discussion and experience of the wine be the true expression.

4. Gratitude–I continue to find and see the intergity, warmth and generous people that are in the fabric of this community. I have been blessed again this year with so many that have showed kindness, generosity and friendship, things that have been a direct result of people that are part of the wine community. This is not new learning, but again an affirmation of what’s inside of this great circle of people that are all around me.

Happy new year to everyone.

I learned that kids are expensive. I also re(learned) that wine is expensive. Only one is getting funding lately, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Thank you, kind sir! Perhaps a bit late to the party, but better late than never, so they say! Stay tuned, I’ll be here all next year too!

To OP’s question: I learned that
-doing science (read: tasting) is much better than idiotically following critics. To wit, I’ll be buying more 2010 Monprivato and dumping my 2011 red Burgundy
-not everyone on this board knows what wine-searcher is
-Maison Ilan’s wines are boring and hugely overrated (at the same time, I’ve also learned that I’m too young to understand Burgundy)
-to my palate, Anselme Selosse is probably the world’s best winemaker these days. Hype or no hype, the wines are worth what they cost

After an 18 month roller coaster of chemo and radiation and more chemo and surgery and more chemo for pancreatic cancer, from which I am now CLEAN, thank God, I’ve learned that all those great bottles that I’ve been saving for the right occasion are just frickin’ fermented grape juice, and so I’m pulling corks for friends who drop by for a simple meal or an elegant repast, and over the last few months we’ve drunk the 85, 88 and 90 Sassicaia, the 86 Leoville Las Cases, the 82 Cos, the 95 Cathelin Ermitage, the 82 Latour a Pomerol, a bunch of 85 premier cru Burgs, a slew of 74, 78 and 85 Cali Cabs, and a slew of 78 Barolos. Lots more to go and everyones having a blast. Now IS the special occasion; drink 'em if you’ve got 'em… champagne.gif

+1 opening the bottle should be the occasion (says the hoarder).

holy shit, Peter, good luck. You are right about “now.”. There may not be later for anyone.

so Kyle, does that mean the kids have to start drinking wine instead of milk?

I have learned, with a lot of your help, that when it comes to champagne one doesn’t have to spend a fortune on the big houses. There are some great growers champagnes at a fraction of the price of the big boys. champagne.gif [thankyou.gif]

I have also learned to look outside of the well known areas in france> I had been missing out on the wonderful world of Chinon, Cahors, St. Jospeh, etc.

Also, without this forum I may not have found out about Bedrock, Rhys, and eric kent

Thank you guys for some great info and at times very entertaining conversation, and I am feeling more comfortable now contributing to the dialogue. [thankyou.gif]

That I will never taste the legendary vintages of Burgundy or Bordeaux and I’m ok with that.
That sweet dessert wines are great fun.
That it takes the second glass of champagne to really tell.
That I really like wine but I don’t love it
Added. That I don’t really like Pinot Noir.

+1 Couldn’t have said it better

+1, good luck Peter.

I agree, pull out the great wines and I probably have drunk more this year than ever before… Still I treasure the unexpected of drinking across the board, mainly burg that is. Still health is the issue so good on you Peter for pulling through… Cheers Mike

:slight_smile:

Jason- welcome to the board and nice to see someone from my adopted hometown.

My top takeaways:
As Pobega would say- Don’t take “this thing of ours” too serious anymore. It’s an incredible time to be a fan of fine wine and that if you “miss” this vintage or that wine there are so many outstanding choices don’t worry about it .
My cellar is way over capacity and that backfilling with older vintages is my future for Burgundy and top Baroli. I just can’t buy more wine I’m going to drink in 15 years…
Find as many oppty’s as possible to open your favorites with friends, family and colleagues
That I don’t know much about Nebbillio but loving the journey
And my top takeaway- spend more of the budget on Oregon Pinot. IMO they provide the best overall qpr for pinot.

Cheers and Happy New Year !

“You never know when you are giving your last performance.” Jim Morrison