What's everyone drinking? The last 10 wines consumed.

Year end is usually the time everyone consumes different variety of wines, so should be interesting mix, may not be typical consuming pattern.

1. 1996 Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon
  2. 2009 Fourrier MSD Clos Sorbes VV
  3. 1995 Ducru Beaucaillou
  4. 2007 JF Mugnier Clos de la Marechale
  5. 2003 Kilikanoon Shiraz R
  6. 1995 Armand Rousseau Cazetiers
  7. 2007 Bruno Clavelier Beaux Monts
  8. 1996 Clos Fourtet
  9. 1996 Rene Engel Clos Vougeot
  10. 2002 Dom Perignon

2008 Mark Herold Acha (Tempranillo blend)
2007 Qupe Syrah Bien Nacido Vyd.
2012 Domaine Maestracci Clos Reginu (Corsica)
2011 Dow Vintage Port
2007 Tenuta di Arceno Chianti Classico Strada Al Sasso
NV Gruet G25 Blanc de Blancs
2008 Ceretto Barbaresco Asij
2011 Gramercy Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley
2011 Domaine Drouhin Laurene Pinot Noir
2010 Pavelot Savigny les Beaune 1er “les Peulliets”

2010 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Tina Marie Vineyard
2000 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
2002 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume
2007 Sine Qua Non Grenache Pictures
2009 Saxum Bone Rock James Berry Vineyard
2010 Kosta Browne Chardonnay One Sixteen
2010 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2011 Roar Chardonnay Soberanes Vineyard
2011 Williams Selyem Chardonnay Olivet Lane Vineyard
2011 Carlisle Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard
2011 Sojourn Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard

2010 Jerome Chezeaux NSG
NV A.R. Lenoble Champagne Brut Intense
2001 Chateau Moulinet
2012 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
2013 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive
2013 Ancillary Cellars Pinot Noir Sun Chase Vineyard
2013 Larkmead Vineyards Friulano
2010 Foursight Pinot Noir Charles Vineyard
2013 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett
2001 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial

No idea

2012 Aubert Chardonnay Carneros
2006 M. Chapoutier Ermitage Le Pavillon
2007 Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard Napa Valley
2012 Rivers-Marie Chardonnay B. Thieriot Vineyard Sonoma Coast
2006 Lucien Le Moine Clos St. Denis
2009 Maison Albert Bichot Chablis Grand Cru Moutonne Domaine Long-Depaquit
2011 Outpost Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain
2010 Kapcsandy Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon (Grand Vin) State Lane Vineyard
2012 Turley Zinfandel Dogtown Vineyard Lodi
2008 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino Ragnaie V.V. Sangiovese

Even less of an idea. Who remembers, especially when you taste 15 in one night at a LBTG dinner?

Last ten tasting notes on CT?

• 2010 Black Sears Winery Zinfandel Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/28/2014)
    Opened, poured a glass, immediately recorked and put in the refrigerator to drink the following day. An absolutely outstanding zinfandel. No sweet jammy fruit, even for those who have been known to go ga-ga over sweet jammy fruit. This is all about Howell Mountain terroir plus the deft hand of Thomas Rivers Brown. It’s all about smooth white pepper and spice. ZERO sweetness, I mean ZERO, without anything more than a very tiny hint of tanic astringency at the back of the palate. For those of you who are unfamiliar wit Black Sears, it is at the top of Howell Mountain. The zinfandel is in an east facing vineyard that gets sun in the morning to dry off the dew and gets cooling winds that come in from the ocean and go over the mountain peak after crossing the Napa Valley. They used to sell their grapes to Turley but that seems to have ended in 1998, although there are five bottles in CT with later vintage years that are probably just entry errors. I discovered Black Sears thanks to the staff at Outpost. After declaring their zinfandel the best I had ever had, they asked me if I had ever had Black Sears. I said no and they arranged for me to go up the road to taste with Chris Jambois. The Black Sears was better. This wine is barely 4 years old and I do not know what will happen as it ages, but at this point it is wonderful. Long finish that is interesting because it is pure flavor in the mouth. It does not feel like the wine has coated the tongue (as in sweet dessert wines) but the taste s still there long after swallowing. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2012 Seven of Hearts Pinot Noir Curmudgeon Cuvée Armstrong Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/24/2014)
    Popped and poured at East of Eighth with friends and family before the “Very Jewish Christmas” comedy show at the Gotham Comedy Club on Christmas Eve. This is getting better with just a bit of age, so no way to tell where it peaks. The mag I have will be astounding if I can keep my hands off it for long enough.

Very light in color. Aroma of red fruit. Palate is red fruit with some spice and a very smooth mouth feel that is well integrated and not disjointed at all. Only a very tiny bit of cola pinot funk, which is so light that it actually adds a positive to the overall flavor profile instead of the negative I often find when that flavor is too strong. A wonderful effort. I am not a fan of shitty Oregon pinot, and I do not drink a lot of it, so my opinion may not be worth very much, but this is far and away the best Oregon pinot I have ever had.

• 2009 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/24/2014)
    Popped and poured. I have liked this wine before, but it did not rock my world this time. Solid but unspectacular trocken Riesling. The palate was classic fruity riesling with a bit of a floral component, but it had this annoying roughness on the back of the palate that detracted from the overall profile. It was the wine equivalent of sandpaper. Not literally, but figuratively. My friend insisted there was sugar in the wine, so the fruitiness of this dry Riesling was doing its job of tricking him into believing it was a traditional Kabinett, and he liked it as did some others at the table. It’s not that I did not like it, but I was hoping for more. (88 pts.)
  • 2008 Saxum Heart Stone Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (12/24/2014)
    Popped and poured at a restaurant. Not the greatest glasses in the world, should have decanted two hours in advance, talking with friends and family so did not pay as much attention to the wine as perhaps it deserved, blah blah blah . . . but it was OUTSTANDING. Red fruit melange with raspberries, cherries and plums. A bit of spice and a tiny touch of apparent sweetness because there is so much fruit. Well integrated whole. Could have polished off a bottle all by myself it was sooooooo good. Once again, I felt sorry for those who cannot appreciate this wine.

Drank with spiced rack of lamb. Excellent pairing. (95 pts.)

• 2000 Château La Fleur de Jaugue - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (12/23/2014)
    Decanted for four hours then drank with Roast Prime rib. maturing Bordeaux. Not as good as I had hoped when I bought this as a future over 12 years ago, but not a disappointment. Developing earthy, leathery components of the aging process with a floral component - like violets - in the background, but there is not a lot of fruit here. (88 pts.)
  • 2012 Rivers-Marie Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/16/2014)
    Delivered on Friday, picked up from the drop ship location on Sunday, opened on Monday night in memory of a former Cabernet lover who has now gone over to the dark side. You know who he is! This is shockingly approachable in its youth, even in crappy hotel event glasses at a client Christmas Party. Dark red fruit, not overly tannic, some coffee and chocolate. Flavors are strong and primary with bitterness. ABV at 14.3% is balanced by the power of the wine. Outstanding. If the “regular” cuvee is this good, the SVDs must be off the chart, but I think they will wait a few years to see how they develop. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Carlisle Zinfandel Rossi Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/15/2014)
    Very interesting. This wine has calmed down a lot and the powerful individual flavors have melded themselves into a unified and very smooth whole. Blind, I would not have guessed that this was a Carlisle Zinfandel because it was a bit more restrained, probably due to the age. I did not drink this under optimum conditions - client Christmas party, crappy hotel event wine glasses, after having way too much delicious baked brie that coated the mouth, etc. Hence no precise note on specific flavors, but an excellent wine and my second contribution to Historic Vintage week on Wineberserkers. (90 pts.)
  • 2008 Carlisle Zinfandel Gold Mine Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/13/2014)
    Chosen for this week’s Wineberserkers charity fundraiser to get Peter a Kidney. The theme is historic California vineyards. Here’s the description from the Carlisle Website:

“Planted in 1914 by Charlie Derrick, just before riding off to join the Cavalry of World War I, this gorgeous property is tucked amongst the redwoods in the hills of the southwest corner of Dry Creek Valley. While Charlie’s gold mine on the property is no longer productive (he used to produce jewelry from the gold and silver he found), his vines certainly are. Organically and dry farmed, this is usually one of our first Zinfandel vineyards to be picked.”

Popped and poured. Needed an hour of air to really start to show well. This is not a fruit driven zinfandel. There is minerality, earthyness and power, with red fruit, but not the slightest bit jammy or sweet. After an hour, there was more fruit emerging, which improved the balance of the wine. Followed for three hours and continued to improve. Overall delicious. (91 pts.)

• 2011 Outpost Zinfandel Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/13/2014)
    No formal note. Was correct for Outpost Howell Mountain Zin with pepper spice predominant over fruit. Excellent
  • 2005 Pax Syrah Walker Vine Hill - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/13/2014)
    Doing fine. not falling apart as naysayers predicted. no formal note

Posted from CellarTracker

2000 Chateau Dereszla Tokaji Aszú 5 Puttonyos
1996 Château Rauzan-Ségla
2007 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Vineyard
2003 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese *
2007 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume
2009 Sybille Kuntz Riesling Gold-Quadrat Trocken
2008 Patton Valley Vineyard Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
2009 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard
2013 Collestefano Rosa di Elena Rose’
NV R. & L. Legras Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru

Not including anything I make:
2011 Argot, Estate Syrah
2013 Dirty and Rowdy, California Familiar
2012 Matthiasson, Cabernet Franc
2012 Kosovec, Skrlet
2011 Tournelle, Fleaur de Savagnin
2013 Banshee, Grenache Gris (the darkest one)
2011 Occipinti, Frappato
2010 Brooks, Pinot Noir “Rastaban”
2012 Spell, Pinot Noir “Weir Vnyd.”
2010 Araujo, Cabernet Sauvignon
Best, Jim

2012 Jaffurs High Tide Santa Barbara County Red Rhone Blend

2011 Mazzocco Zinfandel Briar Vineyard Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel

2008 Jaffurs Syrah Larner Vineyard Santa Barbara County Syrah

2006 Jaffurs Syrah Upslope Santa Barbara County Syrah

2011 Bedrock Wine Co. Sémillon Lachryma Montis, Botrytized Old Vine Monte Rosso Vineyard Sonoma Valley Sémillon

2011 Jaffurs Syrah Verna’s Santa Barbara County Syrah

2012 Under The Wire Zinfandel Sparkling Bedrock Vineyard Sonoma Valley Zinfandel

2006 Jaffurs Syrah Verna’s Santa Barbara County

2009 Bedrock Wine Co. Heirloom Wine Dolinsek Ranch Russian River Valley Red Blend

NV Flora Springs Gamut Napa Valley Red Blend

2005 Roederer L’Ermitage Brut, Anderson Vly
2010 Schramsberg Brut Rosé, North Coast
2013 Paradise Ridge Chardonnay, Est Russian Rvr Vly
2007 Storybook Mtn Anteaus, Napa Vly
2010 Lee Family Rio Tinto, Lodi
2005 Hanna Titan, Sonoma Co
2005 Lake Sonoma Cabernet, Alexander Vly
2008 Davis Family Pinot “Soul Patch,” Russian Rvr Vly
2008 Harvest Moon Zinfandel, Est Russian Rvr Vly
2005 Hunnicutt Zinfandel, Napa Vly (no affiliation)

Yesterday:
2008 Jean-Noel Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot
2001 Sottimano Barbaresco Fausoni
Saturday:
1997 Roumier Bonne Mares
1997 de Vogue Bonne Mares - corked
1993 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
1996 Bouchard Volnay-Santenots
2007 Bruno Clair Bonne Mares
1988 Jaboulet La Chapelle
1998 Jamet
2006 Chave

Longshadows Pirouette 2006 Walla Walla 88 pts
Lucas and Llewellyn Goodchild High 9 Vineyard 2012 93 pts
Guigal Hermitage Blanc 2006 93 pts
Le Vigne Barolo Sandrone 1999 90 pts
Monopole CVNE Viura 2013 89 pts
Prieler Burgenland Pinot Blanc 2009 89 pts
Ramey Wine Cellars Sonoma Coast Syrah 2012 90 pts
Marques de Caceras Rueda Rioja 2012 88 pts
Lo Mon Priorat 2010 90 pts
Selbach-Oster Seitlinger-Schlosberg 2011 90 pts

2011 Stony Hill Syrah
2010 Hughes Wellman Cabernet
2004 Dunn Howell Mountain
2011 Kosta Brown Russian River Valley
2002 Shafer Cabernet
2004 Etude Napa Valley
2013 Stony Hill Riesling
2009 Stony Hill Chardonnay (Magnum)
2009 Silver Oak Alexander Valley
2001 Heitz Trailside

Alesia Chardonnay
Dirty and Rowdy Especial Mourvèdre
Ahlgrens Cab Franc 1995
Ahlgrens Syrah 2000
Jorge Ordonez “Victoria” Moscatel Malaga 2010
Bonny Doon Proper Claret
Bonny Doon Vinferno desert
Sarah’s Cote de Madone blend
Josef Leitz Rudesheimer Reisling 2011
These are off the top of my head.

Coming in at the home stretch of a busy season. Cheers!

2006 Perrier Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
2006 Roederer Cristal
2004 Dom Perignon
2002 Bollinger RD
2005 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvée
2002 Nicholas Feuillate Palmes d’Or
1996 Pol Roger (Thanks Leah!)
2012 Mongeard-Mugneret Bourgogne
2013 Alzinger Durnsteiner Riesling

Ha! First list containing a wine I have had (and actually containing several!)

2008 Domaine du Château de Chorey (Germain) Beaune 1er Cru Les Cras Vieilles Vignes
2013 Arnot-Roberts Syrah North Coast
2010 Marc Plouzeau Touraine Ante Phylloxera Clos de Maulevrier
2013 Arnot-Roberts Trousseau North Coast
2005 Domaine Pichot Vouvray Moelleux Domaine Le Peu de la Moriette
2011 Sybille Kuntz Riesling Kabinett trocken
2011 Jacques Puffeney Trousseau Arbois
2011 Domaine Rolet Côtes du Jura Rouge Les Grandvaux
2011 Domaine Rolet Côtes du Jura Rouge Les Grandvaux
2012 Librandi Cirò Rosso Classico

Lesbian, Bi, TransGender?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’ve always seen the acronym LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi, transgender).