TN: '74-'05 Ridge,'75/'97 Sauternes,'04 Fevre Les Clos,'04 Forsythe,'90/91 Gallo.....

Had a little get together in the 209 for some pizza, and good wine, and to wish Mike and Lauren well in their up coming move to the Napa Valley. Very enjoyable evening…great pizza’s, thanks to Mike, great wines, thanks to all…a fun time had by everyone!!!

The players:

Mike and Lauren
Edson and Danielle
Faust and Krista
Brett Little
Glenn and Mel
Me and Jonelle

This was pretty much a free-for-all…no one took any notes, so I’m just going to list the wines with some of my very vague impressions…and others can chime in if they want. There were a couple blind flights, and a few interesting entries as well!!

Starters:

2005 Ridge Santa Cruz Mtns Chard - Big,rich,little sweet, buttery,caramel,yet cut with minerals,complexed hazelnut. Super wine. 93pts

2007 Heitz Grignolino Rose’ - Refreshing,strawberry/cherry,citrus acidity,watermelon martini,herbs. 90pts

2007 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - As always…killer mini Meursault! 91ps

2004 Domaine William Fevre Les Clos Chablis - BIG thanks to Ed! I was drinkin this as soon as the cork popped! Needed time to open…and it did throughout the night. Super smooth,layered,minerals,stones,lemo n citrus,smoky flint,saline seashell(not as much as I’ve had in others),white florals. Clean and tasty! Will gain even more with age. 93++pts

2004 Forsythe Vineyard Alban “The Mason” - Thanks BC! My first time with this…monster! Oozing dark berry fruit,totally Mourvedre pine sap,smoked meat,coffee…rich rich rich. Got better as the night went on. Looking forward to leftovers tonight! 94+pts

2002 Saxum Broken Stones - Big and rich, but tame compaired to most Saxum, dark wild berry fruit,dusty peppery spice, mocha, exotic smoked woods,more acidity to keep it fresh. Of course it’s good! 93pts

BC’s mini blind:

#1 2006 Carlisle Rossi Ranch Zin - Fresh briary red fruits,spicy tannin,tasty.91pts

#2 2006 Carlisle Montafi Ranch Zin - Bigger, rippin Zin! Tons wild Zinberry, zingy acidity, peppery spice, florals. Killer! 92pts

#3 2007 Linne Calodo Problem Child Zin - The best of the flight! A smoother, well rounded Zin(blend). Everything the other 2 wines had…darker fruit,more balanced. Loved this. 93pts

Ridge Vineyards flight:

1974 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah - Musty,some corkiness nose…but all thought not. Started out earthy mushroomy…but opened later, and was drinking quite nicely at about the 4hr mark. Leather,aged plum,dark berry,black pepper,meat,old cellar dust. Did start to fad towards the end…but pretty nice for the old fella! 92pts

1989 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah - WOW, this is still quite young. Still tannic,dark berry,pepper spice,leather,earth tones. Good bottle. 93pts

1992 Ridge York Creek Cabernet - Glenn thought it was tiring, I liked it…aged cab fruit, dusty spice, some herbs. 89pts

1992 Ridge York Creek Zin - But THIS rocked! Fresh cherry acid,young,herbal,spicy zinberry,leather…really nice! 93pts

1994 Ridge Lytton Estate ATP Zin - Don’t remember.

1995 Ridge Lytton Springs Zin - Drinking well…don’t remember much though.

Mini Gallo Vert:

1990 Gallo of Sonoma Northern Sonoma Estate Cabernet - Drinking perfectly right now. Pristine bottle,aged cab fruit,leather,coffee,cedar dust,some green herbs/tobacco leaves. 92pts

1991 Gallo of Sonoma Northern Sonoma Estate Cabernet - This on the other had, was amazingly tight and acidic. It was like a barrel sample…with no fruit. Really weird wine…very astringent,not flawed,actually was a great structure…it just was light on the fruit. Seems like it might just need 10more years…but don’t know if any fruit will emerge. Anxious to try another glass tonight. 82pts

Brian’s mystery blind:

2002 Matetic EQ Pinot Noir Chile - In the context of all the other wines…this stood out like a sore thumb. I liked it, but I don’t think anyone else did. I think Glenn went outside and puked? [barf.gif] This wine is strange for Pinot. Christmas spice,tree sap,sweet coffee,raspberry,pipe tobacco, all smooth and balanced. Drinks more like a Rhone blend. 93pts

Sweeties:

1997 Chateau Suduiraut - Caramel,creme brulee crust,saffron,apricot…nice spice,little low on acidity,but not too cloying either. Great wine. 91pts

1975 Chateau Coutet Barsac - Thanks Glenn! What a wine…continued to open all night. Beautiful creamy tropical fruit, along with aged apricot,toffee honey,saffron,tobacco spice…well balanced,still young. Super stuff! 94pts

1972 Mayacamas Late Harvest Zin - Very light, cloudy rose’-like color. Tawny-like,nuts,old pencil box,high toned orange citrus,dusty spice,herbs/tobacco leaves,big and sweet imortal wine. 17.5alc. A Port sipper. 88pts

2000 Grahams Vintage Port -WOW…I’m not a Port drinker…but this had a wonderful layer of complex,dry spices/woods…perfect balance of sweetness,rich dark fruit, and alcohol. Another wine I can’t wait to dig into again tonight. 93pts

1997 Rutherford Hill Vintage Zin Port - Didn’t get to try.

1997 Hood River Oregon Zin Port - Didn’t get to try…these 2 wines just appeared?? Was that you Faust?

Other’s:

2002 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges Clos des Porrets - Smooth cherries,berry,earth dust,herbs,potpourri spice. I need more time with this…looking forward to this tonight. 92+pts

1968/69 NV Windsor Vineyards Special Burgundy bottled 1971 - This was “bottled” in 1971…so I think the fruit it from 1968-69. It was alive,pretty dark fruit…more like an old Petite than Pinot(might very well be?)…fruit was simple,not complex,had kind of a garbage can,lettuce thing goin on…old cellar dust,dried herbs,leather. Interesting to see what it does tonight. 80-84pts

2002 Reignac - I liked it…but didn’t hear any comments from the others. Very dark berry fruit,little funk,coffee,dry dusty cocoa powder tannin,leather,sauced meat. We popped and poured this…needed time to open. I 'll bet it drinks super tonight. 90pts

Well, I think that was it?? Any I missed gents? Jonelle and I had a super time…thank you all for the food,wines,and good times…until next time!
[cheers.gif]

We had a real blast and I know we join all to wish Lauren & Mike much success in Sonoma! Jonelle & Brian have a lovely home and were tremendous hosts. As mentioned above this was a relaxed get-together but I’ll add my thoughts on the wines I tasted and a few pics below…

2005 Ridge Santa Cruz Mtns Chard - Big,rich,little sweet, buttery,caramel,yet cut with minerals,complexed hazelnut. Super wine. 93pts
I always enjoy this bottling and last night was no exception. Maybe a touch less butter in 05 than other warmer years?

2007 Heitz Grignolino Rose’ - Refreshing,strawberry/cherry,citrus acidity,watermelon martini,herbs. 90pts
I really enjoyed this with the cured meats and cheeses after Brian gave us some background on this wine. Went well with the food, for me the test of any Rose.

2007 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - As always…killer mini Meursault! 91ps

2004 Domaine William Fevre Les Clos Chablis - BIG thanks to Ed! I was drinkin this as soon as the cork popped! Needed time to open…and it did throughout the night. Super smooth,layered,minerals,stones,lemo n citrus,smoky flint,saline seashell(not as much as I’ve had in others),white florals. Clean and tasty! Will gain even more with age. 93++pts
My remaining bottles of 04 Les Clos will lay sideways now for a few years. This one always seems to have lighter minerals/salinity than other producers, like an introduction to Burgundy for California enthusiasts right now. I wonder if this quality will diminish with real bottle age. Acid sings in this wine.

2004 Forsythe Vineyard Alban “The Mason” - Thanks BC! My first time with this…monster! Oozing dark berry fruit,totally Mourvedre pine sap,smoked meat,coffee…rich rich rich. Got better as the night went on. Looking forward to leftovers tonight! 94+pts
Really bummed I somehow missed this bottle!

2002 Saxum Broken Stones - Big and rich, but tame compaired to most Saxum, dark wild berry fruit,dusty peppery spice, mocha, exotic smoked woods,more acidity to keep it fresh. Of course it’s good! 93pts
Interesting to read Brian’s thoughts as this was easily the best Saxum I have tasted to date. Since I have like 20 bottles cellared I hope it is not the timidity that made this so appealing to me. Still in the sweet spot as I finish off the bottle as I type this.

BC’s mini blind:

#1 2006 Carlisle Rossi Ranch Zin - Fresh briary red fruits,spicy tannin,tasty.91pts

#2 2006 Carlisle Montafi Ranch Zin - Bigger, rippin Zin! Tons wild Zinberry, zingy acidity, peppery spice, florals. Killer! 92pts
I found this the best of the 3 by a few lengths.

#3 2007 Linne Calodo Problem Child Zin - The best of the flight! A smoother, well rounded Zin(blend). Everything the other 2 wines had…darker fruit,more balanced. Loved this. 93pts
I have to decide why I stay on this list.

Ridge Vineyards flight:

1974 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah - Musty,some corkiness nose…but all thought not. Started out earthy mushroomy…but opened later, and was drinking quite nicely at about the 4hr mark. Leather,aged plum,dark berry,black pepper,meat,old cellar dust. Did start to fad towards the end…but pretty nice for the old fella! 92pts
Really enjoyed this wine. NOT CORKED, definite fruit persists in the mouth. Lots of leather, old men’s club on the nose but the fruit was discernible. Balanced now and I’d buy this without hesitancy.

1989 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah - WOW, this is still quite young. Still tannic,dark berry,pepper spice,leather,earth tones. Good bottle. 93pts
So much better than the bottle I had earlier this year. Baby time compared to the 1974!

1992 Ridge York Creek Cabernet - Glenn thought it was tiring, I liked it…aged cab fruit, dusty spice, some herbs. 89pts
Old school Napa Cab but even in that context not as good as most I have had. 1992 remains my favorite vintage from the 90s though.

1992 Ridge York Creek Zin - But THIS rocked! Fresh cherry acid,young,herbal,spicy zinberry,leather…really nice! 93pts
All you could want. Rocked The Casbah. Faith in 1992 lives!

1994 Ridge Lytton Estate ATP Zin - Don’t remember.
I don’t like the low-Zin blends as much as the 100% Ridge Zins but I liked this wine though I thought the 1995 was superior

1995 Ridge Lytton Springs Zin - Drinking well…don’t remember much though.
More approachable and way younger than the 1994.

Mini Gallo Vert:

1990 Gallo of Sonoma Northern Sonoma Estate Cabernet - Drinking perfectly right now. Pristine bottle,aged cab fruit,leather,coffee,cedar dust,some green herbs/tobacco leaves. 92pts
So much better than the 1991, so much for vintage expectations.

1991 Gallo of Sonoma Northern Sonoma Estate Cabernet - This on the other had, was amazingly tight and acidic. It was like a barrel sample…with no fruit. Really weird wine…very astringent,not flawed,actually was a great structure…it just was light on the fruit. Seems like it might just need 10more years…but don’t know if any fruit will emerge. Anxious to try another glass tonight. 82pts
Cook with this.

Brian’s mystery blind:
2002 Matetic EQ Pinot Noir Chile - In the context of all the other wines…this stood out like a sore thumb. I liked it, but I don’t think anyone else did. I think Glenn went outside and puked? [barf.gif] This wine is strange for Pinot. Christmas spice,tree sap,sweet coffee,raspberry,pipe tobacco, all smooth and balanced. Drinks more like a Rhone blend. 93pts
Not Pinot Noir, I don’t care what anyone says. 2004 Casa Marin will be my answer to this eerie, Chiller Theater bottling.

Sweeties:

1997 Chateau Suduiraut - Caramel,creme brulee crust,saffron,apricot…nice spice,little low on acidity,but not too cloying either. Great wine. 91pts
Gonna be great, adore Suduirant which is so often just a great food Sauternes. Revisit @ age 25.

1975 Chateau Coutet Barsac - Thanks Glenn! What a wine…continued to open all night. Beautiful creamy tropical fruit, along with aged apricot,toffee honey,saffron,tobacco spice…well balanced,still young. Super stuff! 94pts
Pure, balanced, fully mature, definitely for dessert and Stilton! You know that Prince song when he coos “right there”? This is what he could have been singing about.

1972 Mayacamas Late Harvest Zin - Very light, cloudy rose’-like color. Tawny-like,nuts,old pencil box,high toned orange citrus,dusty spice,herbs/tobacco leaves,big and sweet imortal wine. 17.5alc. A Port sipper. 88pts
Love Mayacamas but this bottle is never my thing.

2000 Grahams Vintage Port -WOW…I’m not a Port drinker…but this had a wonderful layer of complex,dry spices/woods…perfect balance of sweetness,rich dark fruit, and alcohol. Another wine I can’t wait to dig into again tonight. 93pts

1997 Rutherford Hill Vintage Zin Port - Didn’t get to try.

1997 Hood River Oregon Zin Port - Didn’t get to try…these 2 wines just appeared?? Was that you Faust?

Other’s:

2002 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges Clos des Porrets - Smooth cherries,berry,earth dust,herbs,potpourri spice. I need more time with this…looking forward to this tonight. 92+pts
I tried this on my own and couldn’t get a handle on it after a few domestic wines. Didn’t like it?

1968/69 NV Windsor Vineyards Special Burgundy bottled 1971 - This was “bottled” in 1971…so I think the fruit it from 1968-69. It was alive,pretty dark fruit…more like an old Petite than Pinot(might very well be?)…fruit was simple,not complex,had kind of a garbage can,lettuce thing goin on…old cellar dust,dried herbs,leather. Interesting to see what it does tonight. 80-84pts

2002 Reignac - I liked it…but didn’t hear any comments from the others. Very dark berry fruit,little funk,coffee,dry dusty cocoa powder tannin,leather,sauced meat. We popped and poured this…needed time to open. I 'll bet it drinks super tonight. 90pts

Thanks for hosting us Buzz (and for calling me a “player”, definately a first).

A shout out to Mike for his artisan pizzas that were a big hit and went well with the free-for-all wine.

I thought there were a few stand-out wines last night:
89 Petite Ridge
92 Ridge Zin
95 Ridge Zin
75 Barsac
06 Montafi
04 Forsythe
02 Saxum (my last [cry.gif] )
07 Problem Child

A good time was had by all. Thanks Buzz [thankyou.gif]

That was a fantastic time Brian. Thanks again for the warm hospitality. Mike and Lauren will definitely be missed.

My favs of the night includes the 2 sauterenes, the 92 York Creek Zin, the Roulot, Fevre, Forsythe and the 90 Gallo.

Cheers,

Just sat down after a long day of packing…

Thanks to everyone for making this happen on such short notice. And especially big thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Buzz for volunteering their house and allowing me to make a mess in their kitchen!

None of the old Ridge wines were a disappointment to me – I would have been happy to spend an evening with each. Last night definitely confirmed my desire to buy more from Ridge – and stash them in a dark place for a minimum of 15 years.

Other highlights for me:
2000 Grahams – Yummy!
1990 Gallo – wish I bought more
Carlisle Montafi – huge wine compared to most consumed that night. But takes me to the same place as Turley – sinfully big, but too much fun to put down.

Thanks again to everyone for making the drive and sending us off in style! Give us a couple months to get settled, but then we expect visitors! [cheers.gif]

The '91 Gallo is interesting…day 2, it was amazing how tannic it was…enamel stripping…but started to show signs of fruit, as well as a little of that “green” complexity the '90 showed. Day 3…still tannic, but more fruit is showing, plum,cherry,currant…slight green tobacco, dusty cedar spice…I think this wine is just in a “sleeping giant” stage right now??? I just can’t believe how much tannin this wine has(I REALLY can’t imagine what it tasted like at release???)…I think it will be killer in 5+ more years. Day 3, it is drinking quite well…in fact, 89-91pts well. I will be on the lookout for more bottles to check this out.

The 1990 Gallo is drying out…and the greens really showing.

The 1974 Ridge is gone…but the '89 continues to drink well…nice black pepper!

The 1975 Coutet was still tasty last night.

The 68/69 Windsor was surprisingly still alive day 2, but dead now. I wonder what grapes are really in there?

I’m really liking the '92 Ridge York Creek Cab right now…

I’ll tackle the Ports later tonight…

Oh yeah…the Forsythe was KILLER…blueberries man…blueberries!

so the 1991 Gallo lives and breathes huh? that is nice!

Nice work everyone. Epic night of wines.

To the host goes the spoils! Glad the '89 PS was still going - Glenn had me worried about that one.

I’m just back from my first day at Benchmark. All good, and will be much better when I don’t have to commute. We may have found a place in Sonoma - will know more tomorrow.

Reviving after a decade, cuz we miss all y’all. Miss Greg too, always.