2011 Domaine Gauby La Jasse, Cotes du Roussillon Village

2011 Domaine Gauby La Jasse, Cotes du Roussillon Village

Never thought I’d ever see a $125 Roussillon. Sets expectations quite high. I know nothing about this winery. From what I can tell, it’s a blend of Grenache, Mourvèdre, Syrah and Cinsault.

Really expressive nose showing some gamey quality from the Mourvèdre, crisp red berries, road tar and menthol. The nose is firing, the palate does not quite match up. Medium weight, tea leaf materials and tannins, clipped finish, drying.

A decent bottle at $15 - $25.

(88 pts.). Extra point or so for the nose.

I gotta post this, my wife’s comment on first sip: “this is the funkiest thing I’ve ever tasted.” I liked the funk.

I have only had 3 or 4 Gauby wines but the only ones I have found compelling were those with some age on them. The ones I opened within the first five years of life were rather non-descript. They showed much better with closer to 10 years on them but still nothing that left me needing to hunt down more.

Anyone know anything about this bottling? it’s not even on their website, seems like a new top-level wine for them. The Muntada usually runs a bit under $100, had never heard of this one. Definitely can be oddball wines, the 98 I had of their regular VV red last year had lost all the fruit but none of the tannin/heat, though the 98 white was actually pretty good.