TN: 2011 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge

My continuing education of all things US Pinot has brought me to Oregon, Ribbon Ridge to be exact. All I can say is holy moly.

• 2011 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/13/2014)
    The color on this is a see-through scarlett. Nose is bright and filled with crushed cranberries and orange peel. The palate shows a ultra deft balanced wine that is near weightless. An incredible array of bright red fruits attacks you and does not let up one iota. Love the cranberry and strawberry profile and I get notes of spring flowers, nearly violets and exotic tea leaf–Wow. Mid Palate shows a creaminess and elegance I have very rarely come across. Acidity is spot on and acts as a belt containing all else within it. Finish is long and red fruit filled. Holy crap, this is awesome. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Attended a tasting of these wines not too long ago (mostly '12s) – very impressive lineup across the board!

Time to sell some more of that Cab Sauv. Your going to need a whole lot more space in the cellar.

lol, Tell me about it.

Mike,

The SVD’s are pretty fantastic too. The 2012 Freedom Hill is one of my favorite wines of this year. A friend to several here on the board is Full Pull wines he focuses on NW stuff & offers a lot of small production Oregon Pinot

The estate is an SVD as well, not sure if you intended to imply otherwise. Agreed about the PG lineup and, of course, about Full Pull.

Michael

Nice note, Mike, thanks. How much air time did you give it? And if Jim Anderson reads this note, could you give us your recommended drinking window on this wine?

P&P for the note. It’s taking on a darker fruit profile and settling into a nice grove.

Have to admit I’m starting to worry when Pobega posts notes on wines in my cellar. First it was the Apsara Syrah, and now Patricia Green Pinot.

Does that mean my palate is going to shit, or has Mike upped his game [cheers.gif] [stirthepothal.gif] .

If he suddenly breaks out TNs on Monfortino and Giacosa red labels, I’m not sure how I will react [wink.gif] .

The 2011s are an interesting set of wines. Picked late (everything in the Old Vine bottling was picked post-November 1), with lots of reddish fruit in lots of/most clusters, low sugars, high acids and particularly high malic contents. Fermented at very low temps (for red wine). Wines went into barrel with little pigmentation. Pre-malo these were screechy, tannic and thin wines that were hard to taste and evaluate. I thought we did a good job with pick dates and the low ferment temps. The wines developed color and put on weight significantly as malos finished. They have always been on the medium sized side of things with wiry tannins and fairly high acids. I have thought that they will flesh out but never be particularly fleshy or dense wines. I think the Old Vine is a particularly cellar worthy wine in all vintages. I recently had a 2005 that was very nice if probably not terribly ready to be consumed (it also got bumped around a bit on a long car ride shortly before being opened). I think the 2011 has the potential to age out into something very cool. I think the acids and tannin will pin the fruit in a primary mode for 12 to 15 years and carry on for another 10 after that. Just a guess of course. If one was to cellar for 10 years my suggestion would be to let it go another 5 at least to at least see where it will go since it would be close to a transformational point.

Nice wine, Jim. I am coming back for more although I can’t guarantee they would last 10 years, I could guarantee that my guests and I will enjoy them!
Glad I found your label.

Nice note, Mike. I bought some of these in a BerserkerDay offering a few years ago, and I reloaded immediately after drinking my first bottle. Wonderful stuff.

For anyone interested Patricia Green is right now offering Holiday Packs for a special price on their website. $65 for two bottles (2011 & 2012 Old Vine Ribbon Ridge), shipped. (among other deals) I just grabbed two more. Now I can open the 2012 for the holidays in clear conscience… champagne.gif

Same issue here. It’s a mad world, moreso when the Pinot notes make sense. Maybe a great big dose of recent vintage Caymus could swing the pendulum back? [wink.gif]

Mike if the change is long term…you’ve found a winner with PGC. Oregon has a lot more goodies where that came from.

RT

Sounds awesome. I really enjoy following you on your journey.

Jason

Thanks guys for all the kind words. It’s a lot of fun and even after 30 years of enjoying wine it’s great to realize there is still some fun to be had.
Richard, with the great success(es) on this go round with Pinot (after 2-3 past attempts that fizzled) I think I will hang around. Oregon and Anderson Valley have gotten my attention.

Mike, I opened a 2012 Estate Old Vine last night, and it was great. A bit fleshier than the 2011, but the same red fruited, tea leaf-strewn palate. I broke down and ordered more of each before the December deal was done.

Michael

Michael, funny thing, just 20 minutes ago while eating dinner the doorbell rings. I ask my wife to get it, she tells me no, it’s probably for me anyway. I begrudgedly open the front door to fine my buddy, Peter the UPS guy with a box of what has to be wine, but wait, I was not expecting anything now was I? Aha! 2 more Patricia Green Holiday Packs just in time for the Holiday! I will try the 2012 on Wednesday evening.
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!