TN: 2010 Ferrando Carema White Label (Etichetta Bianca)

Stunningly beautiful wine. Thank you, Martin!

• 2010 Ferrando Carema White Label (Etichetta Bianca) - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Carema (12/12/2014)
    A lovely wine which takes some time to unfold. Decanted and sampled, then started on it after about an hour, and drank over the next few hours. Very pale and crystal clear red. Starts off fairly tightly clenched, elegant, earthy, minerals, excellent acidity. When it opened up it seemed to gain weight and texture, but always retaining a sense of tension and focus. The aromas are simply intoxicating:earth, spice, some floral notes, very complex, constantly changing. The palate is firm, elegant, minerals, savory, and again the word complex comes up. I suppose there are some tannins, but they’re so finely grained that they’re almost invisible. A wine that makes you come back over and over again. So lovely!

Posted from CellarTracker

A favorite of mine, thanks for posting!

Love this wine year in and year out.

I had the '10 on release and thought it was more developed and approachable than the previous two vintages, including a bit of orange/brown color. If it was $25-30 here like i see on wine-searcher in Italy i would be drinking multiple cases a year :slight_smile:.

I bought this wine ever year when it was $25. Still a heck of a wine but can’t make myself pull the trigger anymore at current prices

Really great wine. And a unique expression of Nebbiolo. Only about 750 cases produced, with around 500 imported to the US each year. Even at these prices it is still a value over other top regions.

Stan, that’s an interesting observation. When I first opened this last night I noticed a very slight rusty hue to the wine. Later, as I was writing my note, I didn’t see it at all so I thought maybe I had misperceived it. Now you’ve made me rethink that since the lighting at my computer station where I was tasting the wine as I wrote my note later isn’t as good as in the kitchen. I don’t often do this, but I’ll edit my CT note. Thanks.

Gary, I’m with you on the value. I really enjoy some of the Langhe nebs at the low to mid-20 price range, they can be lovely. But this wine is far and away superior to the Langhe nebs I’ve tried (though I have fairly limited experience). This was magical.

A question for whoever might have some further thoughts. I have another two bottles, and I can’t really get a sense of how long to age them. If I had to proffer a guess, I’d say 5-7 years, and maybe more. Though it’s drinking very nicely right now.

Xavier,
a month or so ago I had a 1978 (black label though) and loved it. I bought it at an auction online, so had no idea how it had been stored, but it was fine. Tannins had melted completely and the structure was only given by the acidity which was quite prominent. But it also had body and was a pleasure to drink.

You’re welcome, Xavier. Clearly, this wine is in the right hands with you, and I believe that you have captured it perfectly with your note. [cheers.gif]

Thank you, Gilberto.

Martin, I’m sure glad another two bottles are in my hands!

I remember having the 04 alongside a Castello del Pino Rabaja and it was decidedly more elegant and refined. I bought the 04’s for $33. Easily drank like a $50 nebbiolo.
Has anyone had the '04 recently (white label)?

20-30 years no problem, if you need to.

That’s more like it.

I had the black label '04 in early November. It was still rather young but quite pleasurable.

Thank you all for the feedback. I’m unlikely to wait 30 years, otherwise they’ll simply be burned along with my corpse and scattered to the Pacific!