hdh auction dec 2014

anyone following the auction today?
really surprised at the prices so far…
seems like a weak showing…

\

on second thought, i take that back… burgundy is still pretty hot, everything else seems low.

I was outbid on the 1990 Foreau Goutte d’Or lot. We had bid about 50% above the high estimate.

i’m restraining myself from live bidding today.
submitted bids in advance, and have been checking the results page.
it’s quite interesting to see your bid price as the winning price but not sure if you were the first to submit the bid…

but 2001 leoville las cases went for 1100 for a case
2001 montrose went for 750 for a case…
these are very decent prices…

will be watching the ardbegs and rathskeller rye tomorrow.

That is a real unicorn wine. Tons of interest.

I’ve had it once before-- it’s very good, although there are other wines from Vouvray that I prefer. Oddly enough I bought my 1 bottle from HDH awhile back for a number much higher than their auction estimate (close to where the lot sold).

That being said with only 3 vintages ever made, I can see the “unicorn” appeal!

I placed some bids in advance and have watched the action a bit today.

Burgundy is definitely hot. 2001 Arnoux Suchots case for $2k before buyer fees is one example. Bordeaux is very soft. Barolo is medium, except for older stuff (pre-1990) which is hot as well. Those are the ones I pay attention to.

And considering that one of them is from 1947 and probably doesn’t even exist anymore…

I personally like Foreau’s wines and did take the mixed lot that came after the case of Gouttes 1990.

Edit: I wrote 1949 originally. The first Goutte d’Or was made in '47.

Is that “hot” for 01 arnoux suchot? I feel like that’s been the pricing at $199 a bottle for the last year or so.

First day’s notes are up. As usual a big thank you to the staffs of Tru and HDH for putting on such a splendid show.

HDH AUCTION TASTING AT TRU - Chicago, IL (12/12/2014-12/13/2014)

• NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle Brut - France, Champagne (12/12/2014)
    This is quite a stunner. Powerful baked apple and pastry notes, as well as a slight hint of marzipan. The palate is similarly powerful with consistent profile. There’s a certain sinewy, but polished, rounded quality to this as well. Very good. (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/12/2014)
    This has a very aromatic and entrancing nose with tons of spice, apricot, and flowers. The palate is surprisingly lithe, with just enough acidity to keep things interesting. As is typical for a Rhone white to me, this finishes quite bitter. Nonetheless, this was a real revelation… I’m not used to Rhone whites I can actually enjoy. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis 1er Cru Vaulorent - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (12/12/2014)
    Very pale colour. Lots of flint and smoke on the nose – not showing any fruit at all right now. The palate is quite austere as well, showing the same stone qualities, as well as a good dose of tart lemon. There is a bit of oak on show, but it isn’t annoying or loud at all. (90 pts.)
  • 1976 Prinz von Hessen (Landgräflich Hessiches Weingut) Winkeler Dachsberg Scheurebe Auslese - Germany, Rheingau (12/12/2014)
    #17-77, 10% abv. What an eclectic bottle of wine. Hallucinogenic nose with peaches, passion fruit, lychee, and spice. The palate still has the same amount of fruit, and there’s still a bit of sweetness. Lots to like and lots of life still. A heap of fun. (90 pts.)
  • 2007 Coche-Dury Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (12/12/2014)
    Well, this is embarrassing. The green and slightly rustic notes on it made me think this was a well-made Italian cabernet. As in, really, really well made. But you know what they say, the last time I confused Bordeaux and Burgundy was lunchtime. Which, in the case of this note, is totally true. This is quite peppery and doesn’t display much of the red fruit charm of 2007. A bit austere, with very broad tannins still, which is perhaps surprising given the character of the vintage. I guess you could call this Clifford the Big Red Burgundy. (90 pts.)
  • 1999 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Cicala - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/12/2014)
    The cicada. Served blind, this was pretty much immediately identifiable as Barolo in the modern vein, thanks to the spicy sweetness at the end of the palate. Very perfumed and floral, this is really a real charmer. The palate though does come off a bit thin and leaves a bit to be desired. The tannins still have a long way to go. This should probably be aged for another decade. (90 pts.)
  • 2003 Domaine Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (12/12/2014)
    Served blind, I thought this was a Vosne based on the amount of black spice on the nose – it was either Vosne or Dujac. This is more stems than fruit, to be honest, but doesn’t really show very much heat. There wasn’t quite enough fruit for me. Surprisingly restrained and not over the top at all, though the tannins are really, really astringent and there’s a bit of bitterness on the finish. (90 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Pruliers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (12/12/2014)
    Very dark and purple. Slightly bretty nose, just a bit on the edge of too much for me. The palate is super dark and rich, with a good dose of earth, iron, and black fruit. Tannins are still a bit chewy, this could definitely use a bit more time to resolve itself. This is without a doubt a very, very big bottle of Burgundy. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Felt hot to me, but what do I know. Maybe another way to say it – there were no deals to be had for Burgs today.

that 01 arnoux suchot is worth every penny tho. That’s a fantastic fantastic wine.

The 99 is no slouch either!

Arnoux rocked it in 01.

Where is the results page ?

Nice notes. I had the 2003 Dujac Combottes last week. Much different bottle than yours–all fruit!

2003 Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin aux Combottes 1er Cru
I would have guessed this a new world Pinot if served blind. Massive ripe and extracted red and dark fruit with a good measure of oak. Same in the mouth. Not a bad wine, and in fact delicious with a escargot pasta dish. But there is nothing Burgundian about this other than the label.

Yes weird. Got the bid results page and saw my bid was the high. Now pins and needles to see if I won.

Congratulations, that was a great lot! We looked at it but 22 bottles was a bit much.

Not too concerned with the size of the lot… the wines will last for a long, long time. [cheers.gif]

Yep. Great pickup.

Yesterday results Arnoux Suchots 2002 12 bottles. HDH 2600. Wallys 1800.