New and Old World wines - Consumers purchasing habits

Hello Wine lovers!

My name is Julia and I am a French student in exchange in the USA. I am interested in learning more about wines. As a future project, I would love to work in the wine industry. As part of my bachelor’s thesis, I am conducting a survey about purchasing habits. I am interested in studying why would a consumer choose a wine from the New World rather than a wine from the Old World.

Here is the link to my survey, that would be a huge help if some of you could respond to it. Moreover, don’t hesitate to share it around you!

https://qtrial2014az1.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8HfNHvYYfgvjUlT

Thanks everyone it is a huge help! Any feedback is welcomed too :slight_smile:

Julia

All done.

Hi Julia, welcome to Wine Berserkers.

I took the survey. Thank you for grouping the age range 30-49 and income range $150,000 and up. I’m feeling young and rich!

You are certainly that Larry. Is there a category for debonair as well? [cheers.gif]

done and done.

good luck!

[cheers.gif]

Done. :slight_smile:

Done. Have to say it was a very well thought out survey.

Done.

Please tell us more about your thesis and your wine preferences.

Would say that Chilean wines are not very popular on this board. If I would have to guess, I would say the thesis is how to re-brand reposition a brand/region. Chilean wines have struggled IMHO to move out of the cheap good QPR part of the aisle.

Done.

Interesting questions re Chilean vs French wines. I think I answered correctly. I definitely think there are great quality Chilean wines at a better price point than similar French varietals. But, ultimately, I would go with better quality for French but at higher price.

Jeff

I’m feeling old and poor. [cry.gif]

Chilean wines never did it for me even at the QPR level. I tried and tried many years ago. France has fantastic QPRs imho.

n +1

Good luck!

Bad survey for any number of reasons and I’m wondering about the original post, which I don’t believe any more after looking at the survey.

Why is Chile vs France a subject for a thesis? “France” is a whole lot of regions. Is “Chile” the equivalent of say, Jura? (Had to throw that in because it’s completely insignificant but apparently a current hipster region.) There was a question about terroir, so does that only apply to “old world” or does it apply to Chile as well?

Any Ecuadorian wines of note??

One issue with your survey is that I (and I assume others) were actually familiar with at least one of the wines you used as an example, so my response that the wine was high quality but also cheap was not a guess based on the label (as the survey seemed to assume) but a conclusion from personal experience, since it’s a wine I drink all the time.

Survey completed and sent in, happy to help! I have to agree with Keith about the labels though and that using a more umpteen producer might make the label comparison more fair

Survey done, but have an issue with the section comparing Chilean wines vs french wines at the $7 and $25 levels.

I’ve had good $25/btl wines from France (Liore Valley comes to mind)…and really bad $25/btl wines from France. Price doesn’t always indicate quality and there were no other options in the survey.

Glad to participate