Critters In The Crush?

While visiting a Sonoma winery on our last visit, late harvest grapes were brought in from having just been picked. They were covered, and I do mean covered, with what was called cucumber beetles. I’m just wondering how common this might be and how, if at all, does it affect the wine.

04 red burg?

Michael,

It’s common to have lots of critters come in with the grapes, even if hand harvested. The bins tend to sit out in the vineyard oftentimes before being transported to the winery, and lots of stuff can get in there. Beetles, worms, slugs - you name it. And with machine harvested stuff, it’s not uncommon to see larger ‘critters’ such as snakes, field mice . . . fun times!!!

Does this affect the wine in any way? Usually not - but there’s always a chance. I once had an ant infestation in a block I was going to pick a few weeks later and asked what could be done. When I sampled the grapes, the flavors were affected - luckily, by the time I picked, no more ants!!!

Cheers!

Wasn’t there a recent “shocking” article about all sorts of protein in 2 buck chuck?

Most all wine has protein not of Vitis origin, and not from egg whites or other fining agents either. Fermentation tanks or vessels are usually a spider graveyard at the least.

Whether it negatively affects the wine depends on the kind of juice and critter, but mostly the quantities. I’m not familiar with those beetles, but it would take a lot. And in such cases you’d think the winemaker would intervene before crushing or pressing.

I would not know all that goes into 2 buck and similar, but the list is long and would likely be shocking to many.

Larry,
One of the producers at the winery where I work brought in several tons of fruit with ants in it. Of course, the Formic acid in these critters can really damage the wine so we dumped each bin in the hopper and hosed it off before sorting. It took longer but the wine turned out fine.
It’s a technique I won’t forget.
Best, Jim

I assume that it is very common. There are critters in ALL agricultural commodities when they are harvested.

I heard of Lady bugs & Stink Bugs causing problems.

True story… Crushing some old vine fruit in FRB’s ( 50 lb boxes) directly into destemmer. Winemaker pulls out a dead crow from the crusher before it goes in. All I can think is that boss of mine must have really pissed someone off that day!

It’s called “terroir.” :wink:

i’ve seen MOG ranging from earwigs to small (deceased) snakes.

most, if not all, taken care of as the gapes hit the sorting table.

#spidersaregoodluck

And not just critters. During big rains and flooding, water tables rise, as well as other things, and you may get some floaters with your artichokes.

I can’t see why more wineries don’t do this, if only to wash off copper sulfate and other chemicals that get onto the grapes. Doesn’t anyone remember their mother’s admonition to “wash off your fruit”?

Mark,

Wouldn’t that also wash off a lot of native yeasts?

…and add excess water than would have to be eradicated afterward, no?

Most chemicals have a days to harvest recommendation that most follow. The idea is that by not spraying too close to harvest, the residual is so small as to not be an impact.

Well there will be excess water if washing the grapes. If that is a bad thing is probably dependent on a number of factors.

Oh come on now.

Are you guys saying that all the grapes are not required to be rinsed off and sorted out prior to the crush?

Wine has to get its “legs” from somewhere

pre-watered-back!

Not surprising.