Sea Smoke and Caymus

Two wines, often denigrated on this board for Thanksgiving:
2008 Sea Smoke 10 : just sublime
2012 Caymus (40th anniversary) Cab: an over-extracted mess. What was Parker thinking with the 96 point score? Quite an anniversary present from the Bob.

Just a little typo on the subject line, but the 2012 Caymus is certainly getting a pretty wide array of reviews from the masses.

I haven’t seen much denigration of Sea Smoke over the last couple years. Seiber likes it as well and I haven’t really seen any negative notes. Quite tempted to try it myself.

Taylor,

No negative notes recently, but not a lot of love for the label here from what I’ve seen - that’s for sure. The wines are well made and the vineyard certainly is beautiful - there are just so many other choices in that region that offer better ‘value’ IMHO.

That said, the Ten is always a great wine that delivers, especially after at least 5 years in the cellar . . .

Cheers!

Do they still do this? That’s worthy of denigration.
image.jpg

What? Print on the label in script?

No grand Cru on the most recent labels

OK, I’ll take the bait. I was served a bottle of the Southing about two years ago (don’t remember the vintage). It was big and alcoholic with cloying cough-drop cherry flavors and a boatload of oak. And expensive to boot. Pretty much everything I dislike in California pinots.

But different strokes for different folks.

Do you happen to recall if that was a pop-n-pour situation, John? I ask b/c I feel that Southing shows significantly better after one or two hours in the decanter than it does right upon opening.

I don’t recall specifically, but in that group people generally decant a half an hour or more ahead.

FYI, I have never had a wine in that style improve with air.

I know the style to which you refer and this 10 was not like that.

Cool. Thanks for the response, John.

This was my experience with the '07 Southing:
2007 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (12/31/2010)
– decanted immediately before tasting –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: initially, this was a bit alcoholic and nothing-but-oak on the Nose ---- I left it alone in the decanter, and came back to it an hour or hour and a half later. This wine seriously turned a corner for the better in that decanter: when I came back to it 60 - 90 minutes after decanting, lots (but not all) of the oak had fallen to the background, and a pleasantly seductive cranberry and cherry wash had forced its way to the forefront; some more time in the glass brought more ripe red berry aromas and spice.

BODY: raspberry color of medium depth; clear; medium bodied.

TASTE: initially, good acidity, but nothing but oak flavors showing ---- when I came back to it, the oak was less prominent, allowing the ripe red berry flavors through; palate is full; well-balanced between acid and tannin; ripe, and carries its alcohol well. Overall, this was a wine of two faces: upon opening, it was an oak monster; after aerating in decanter, it was much better. Needs more time in the cellar; hold ‘till 2013.

B: 50, 5, 12, 16, 8 =(91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I drank an additional bottle of the same this past May and it showed in the same manner.

I remember hearing about Sea Smoke about 4 or so years ago in a local wine shop and they had it listed for around $50-60 or so. Just checked the current prices and they’ve definitely crept up (read: basically doubled). Can’t say I’m intrigued enough to pursue it.

yep
I think I have two or three bottles remaining in the cellar. Since I’m happily married I can’t think of am excuse to open them.
neener

I, for one, am a fan of Sea Smoke - what little I have tried of Caymus found it drinkable but perhaps not WA 96 point quality. Taylor, I’ve been buying Sea Smoke for several years. If I recall correctly, Ten has increased by $2/btl over the past six years. Southing has increased a few dollars, but so has every other wine. Perhaps on the secondary market prices have risen but they certainly have not doubled. My assumption is the local wine shop is buying their wine from a list member, and marking it up accordingly.

I like big pinot but seasmoke has dialed it down significantly in the last few years. …

I found my notes. It was the 2007 Ten (not Southing) tasted in February 2010. My notes: “All oak” on the nose. In the mouth, “Oak, oak spice, a bit hot. Pinot. Sort of hollow. Quite a bit of acidity – acidulated” (my assumption since the acid seemed to stick out). On the finish: “Some hard tannins, lots of acidity.” To my surprise, I see I gave it 81, which is potable in my book.

Good for them. Hopefully they fired whoever thought of that.

They feature a quote on their web site from James Laube of Wine Spectator who says they are one of Santa Barbara’s grand cru properties.

Can they fire him too?