$10-20 spaniards / italians for current drinking?

With the holiday season in swing we’re in dire need of buffer wine - Spanish / Italian feels about right - can usually find something relatively crowd pleasing that I wouldn’t mind drinking myself and won’t leave you falling down drunk after one glass…

Any suggestions?

Murrieta Rioja will probably be at the top of that range, but I love it.

Lots of good Dolcetto in that range, too.

2009 and 2010 Muga.

San Felice Chianti Classico, 2010 and 2011, $14-17/btl.

Do you like fruit and something a little more unique or fun? Try Descendientes de J Palacio “Petalos” Bierzo. Usually under 20 and can stand short-term aging.

Yeah, I’m probably like a broken record here, but IMO virtually any Chianti Classico fits in this price range (at least the $15-$20 portion of your range), and I find them to be pretty user-friendly wines that don’t require a lot of concentration if you’re pouring them with light food at a Holiday gathering.

Seconding Dolcetto. Should be able to find Valtellina in that range as well. I like Priorat and that can be pretty inexpensive usually too

Broken record here too, but it’s so damn good for the price – Tenuta Monteti Caburnio (super Tuscan blend) for under $20. Not a fruit monster but not AFWE either.

Vietti Barbera d’ Asti Tre Vigne
G. D Vajra Langhe Rosso
Ambra Carmignano
Valle Reale Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo
Masciarelli Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo
La Valentina Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo
Castellucio Le More Sangiovese di Romagna
Castello di Neive Barbera d’ Alba Santo Stefano
Nicolis Valpolicella
Terre Nere Etna Rosso

2009 Pujanza Hado Rioja
2010 Rocca Di Castagnoli Chianti Classico

2012 Black Slate Vilella Alta - under $20 and a real crowd pleaser

Something for most tastes:

G.D. Vajra Langhe Rosso
G.D. Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo
Ferrando Canavese Rosso
Marcarini Barbera d’Alba “Ciabot Camerano”
Roagna Dolcetto d’Alba
Bruno Giacosa Dolcetto d’Alba
Elio Perrone Bigaro
Il Fachetto Tenuta del Font
Allegrini Palazzo della Torre

Whites haven’t got much mention, but I do like simple white Rioja. However there are some remarkably fresh vibrant whites coming out of Spain - Rueda is one area worth exploring.

In Italy, Fiano often pleases, as can Greco di Tufo. There is lots more decent Soave than there used to be and prices are still fair. Moscato d’Asti is still a giveaway for a flexible dessert wine (surprisingly it’s a great match for chocolate-based desserts) or summery aperitif - and light on the alc%.

Malvira Langhe Barbera San Guglielmo
Lopez de Heredia Vina Cubillo (slightly more than 20)
Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo
Also +1 on the Terre Nere Etna Rosso - a really pretty and elegant wine that always over delivers for its price point

I found an inexpensive Tuscan red that I like for $12 that doesn’t taste “made up” like some of the major brand names; Castello di Meleto Borgaio Toscana. I love Chianti Classico for value, but I don’t find many to be crowd-pleasers (a bit tart for some when young, the same with Nebbiolo for that matter).

From Spain, grenache works for me; wines like Herencia Altes Garnaxta Negra or Borsao Tres Picos. Muga white at $15 is killer.

Very good list, if you add the Monsanto Chianti Classico, fits in well with this one. We have a lot of Italian food in our home, love Barbera, it is way underrated by a lot of people.

Veleta wines
http://www.dominiobuenavista.com/
There is a variety, almost all under $15.
To get them in the US, PM Nola Palomar.

I love the 2011 Valle Reale Vigneti di Popoli Montepulciano d’Abruzzo. It is made from vines planted in 1952, and offers a rich smoothness and structure. Sells for $17.99 where I work in Ithaca, NY.

Someone bumping an old thread but 2015/16 Cafaggio Chianti Classico Villa Cafaggio is a screaming deal for less than $20.

Still like Vajra rosso, Barbera, and Nebbiolo, Monsanto CCR, Gulfi Cerasuolo, Pescara (sp?) Rioja, and Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo in this price range. LdH Cubillo is worth a mention for a bit over $20.