TN: 2013 Do Ferreiro Albariño Rías Baixas Cepas Vellas

This is my first attempt at Albarino, Galician wines, and Rias Baixas. I have just read View From the Cellar latest issue about Galician wines and was fascinated. I bought a few on a whim and here is my first note. I would love a few recs on which wines to check out.

• 2013 Do Ferreiro Albariño Rías Baixas Cepas Vellas - Spain, Galicia, Rías Baixas (11/25/2014)
    Wow! My first Galician wine. I love it. It is light bodied and fairly dry with yellow and white fruit that remind me of some dry Austrian rieslings. The fruit is delicate peach and tart apricot. There are traces/perceptions of white mineral and a hint of steel. A damn good wine with a “real feel”, and I will be buying more. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

First attempt? This is like starting out on Burgundy with DRC. Mind you this albarino is in a different league than most. I had the 2007 earlier this year and it is still very fresh with great mouthfeel.

See if you can find Forja del Salnes Leirana. I know folks who think its better than the Do Ferreiro.

For a domestic version, Ian Brand makes a great one under his La Marea label but the current vintage appears to be sold out. If you find one at retail grab it.

Xxxx

Isn’t this made from 200+ year old vines?

Would that DRC only cost $40 beans a bottle!!!

Wow I got lucky. There were very few available to me in Florida. I got an assortment from Chambers in NYC and this happened to be one of them. I had a nice conversation with Gerry Dawes of the Spanish Artisan Wine Group, and he has informed me he will be importing a bunch from the Gilman article in early 2015. I will certainly be trying to get some more bottles.

Thanks

That’s what the bottle says. I was wondering if the meaning was that the property has been growing vines for over 200 years at the site. I wonder if it was a little lost in translation? If not those are easily the oldest vines I have experienced.

Great wine but a difficult act to follow.

Check out Albariño from Fefiñanes, Nanclares, and Benito Santos. They may not be as long-lived as the Do Ferreiro Cepas Vellas but are great Albariño.