Wine Glasses - Tips for keeping them clear

Anyone have any tips for keeping wine glasses and decanters from taking on a purple tint over time?

Either wash them, or drink only white wine – voila! No purple tint!

Well yeah, wash them!

And use a little elbow grease (not too much now) and you’ll clean them just fine. If necessary, use a little bleach - it gets out all kinds of organic stains.

You’re NOT going to ruin your wine!

Drink from the bottle.

I normally wash the glassware with a dishwashing liquid like Dawn, but have noticed that the glass becomes slightly stained over time. It’s noticeable when you put a brand new glass right next to one that’s been in use for a while.

Every once in a while I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the bottom of the decanter - works great to remove the staining. I cut a small piece of the eraser, place it in the bottom of the decanter and use a long wooden spoon to move the eraser around. Works great - of course rinse several times in hot water afterwards.

I found putting a teaspoon of the dishwasher powder or liquid, such as Cascade, and filling the glass with a half inch of water, mixing, and leaving it overnight does the trick. There is typically a bleaching agent in the dishwasher soap.

far easier method, i notice this also with time. Just try putting them (carefully) in a dishwasher, with a good sheeting agent. Usually gets the purple haze out quite nicely. If still stained, concur with the bleach method above…

Don’t laugh. It have it and it works.

http://www.everythingbutwine.com/Custom-Decanter-Cleaner

I bought a bottle brush at Sur La Table. I use it on my decanters and my glasses. With regular dish soap they stay clear.

Before…

After…

Works on coffee pots too!

Only takes a minute or two and you don’t risk bleaching out your clothes if you splatter

This. If Cory is talking of the purple tint I think he is, nothing works. I have a gazillion glasses but being creatures of habit my wife and I tend to use the same glass every night. Over time they take on a purple hue that I’m convinced is not a stain but wine that has absorbed into the glass.

PBW Cleaner

I get mine on Amazon

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1603971#p1603971

I sometimes wonder if people care to read the posts that come before theirs.

As Greg and Dennis already noted, a dilute bleach solution works wonders and it’s easy to rinse the glassware entirely free of any chlorine residue. Restaurants regularly clean stained coffee cups that way.

An easy method similar to Brian’s beads, some glassware makers recommend adding some uncooked rice to warm water with a bit of dishwashing liquid, then sloshing that mix around inside a decanter, glass, flower vase, whatever.

Efferdent denture cleaner works great for hard to reach decanter stains. I read the tip on this board a few years ago.

Yep, read every post. I use the beads. For me they work for surface sediment, but not for what I have come to believe is a stain that is actually absorbed wine. Could be wrong but the glasses are porous right? I’ve tried bleach too.

Have not tried Efferdent.

Course sea salt and hot water… Works wonders.

Strange, haven’t found anything they didn’t clean yet. Maybe I don’t let them get that bad beforehand.

Bob, I was kinda thinking the wine had absorbed into the glass, as you suggested.