Wine pick, how about we pick Pic St Loup!

I could not resist this pick! A few here know my love for this appellation so thought I would check out the 09 vintage from Chateau de Lancyre. Their pinkie always gets rave reviews, the white is very good and the red usually needs some time in the cellar. The 07 Vieilles Vignes drank quite nicely last year…spice, cherries, good fruit-forward palate.

TN: 2009 Chateau de Lancyre Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup VV.

Cellared 2 yrs, good natural cork, $26 Cdn, 14% alc, decanted, serve slightly chilled. 65/35 Syrah/Grenache.

Medium depth in color, no sign of age yet. Plum, cherry, cassis on the nose, thankfully no sign of over-oaking.
Initial entry thought is dry, very much fruit driven, soft tannins, nice integration. Shows a lengthy finish that shows some riper fruit after an hour in the glass. “Some meaty tones here…nice and solid” from across the table. Not a lot of pepper, just good berry flavors, plum cherry. Held up well overnight , tad more riper fruit on the finish, pretty big wine here. Went well with pork tenderloin, onion relish and bok choy. Intend to keep buying any new vintage when they appear on the shelf.

Thanks for posting on this, Bob. We do see Lancyre here once in a while. I really should pick one or two up to track this wine and area.

Best,

Mike

After this many picks somebody’s bound to be open for the corner three. Swishing it in, all net: Clos Marie. My favorite winery of the appellation and among a small handful of most interesting ones in all of the south.

Not familiar with Lancyre, but it’s a nice undervalued appellation and beautiful area. From your description Bob it sounds as a wine that’s a little too fruit forward for my taste. Then again, it’s young and a pretty warm vintage.

A great appellation name and a great name, in general. Decent wines, too.

We went to a wedding and celebration, in 1988, in a village near the bottom of the Pic St. Loup. Most memorable wedding ever…and most enjoyable. Been back, too…

I believe berserker Dan Kravitz imports this one…we used to get this pretty often out in CT.

From the archive.

Just opened the 2008 V V so stay tuned. Well soaked cork, hints of sediment. Wonder if it is as ripe as the 2009?

Been drinking Chateau La Roque Pic Saint-Loup Cupa Numismae, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
for years, especially through the 90’s. What a fabulous wine with age. Had a '98 mag when we moved into our last house in 2006. Drank like a Fine CdP then some. A stunning wine! We don’t get it in to Nashville anymore, just the regular bottle. Someone said the winery was sold.
Love Pic Saint-Loup!!

I remember those too, they were great. I have not had/seen one in a long time myself. Kermit Lynch I thought was their importer?

Remember La Rogue very well but seems limited in AB. This `08 Lancyre is showing nicely, one glass left…drank over 3 nights, really evolved on day 2. Stay tuned.

We get a case of the Lancyre rose every vintage. I’m also a big fan of the reds, but they are a challenge to find. Not a lot of retailers want to work with them.

Yes KL is/was importer.