My Rasi Pinots Just Arrived...And, Now With My TN!

I wanted to lob a shout up to the board, to congratulate Rachel Silkowski on her new wine, the 2013 Santa Rita Hills pinot noir. The UPS guy just dropped off the bottles. The fruit comes from Aubaine, Clos Pepe and Cargasacchi, the wine is made up at Loring, where Rachel works for Brian as his assistant winemaker. I believe all that was made was one barrel so very few bottles are around. Having known Brian for a long time, with his integrity and generosity, I know he gave Rachel great advice on how to get started in the business, the importance of customers and relationships–she could not have a better mentor. I also have known Rachel’s parents for some time so I am sure Chris and Gale are thrilled to see Rachel get her first vintage released.

For those who want to see the website, here is the link: http://www.rasiwine.com/

FWIW, I have no financial interest in the wine. I simply wanted to applaud Rachel, to respect and encourage when women break into spaces where they can make a mark and add their voice to increase diversity in any realm. She has done that here, and ultimately, she will have her own voice and her wine will speak for itself but she made a splash and I wish her the very, very best.

PS–I have extended Rachel an invite to bring the wine to Falltacular, to save a bottle or two so she can pour it here in February. [cheers.gif]

Just bought 2.
thanks for the heads up.

FYI, tried to order but noticed the page is not secure.

Sometimes you just gotta cast fate to the wind.

:slight_smile:

Phill, if you are concerned, then send a note via the Contact link and ask Rachel to call you. She phoned me about my order, we handled it by phone.

For those who may to see a full circle, to now include my TN, here it is. I am enjoying this wine this afternoon in advance of a party later where I can show the wine to some other smart palates. I will be very keen to see where Rachel’s voice comes through in the wines she will make. What I like for this first vintage is the leaner edge that is woven into this wine. That aspect jazzes me up, and I hope she continues to push that direction, as while it may not be the direction some want to buy, it is for me. For some context, that same quality I mention here, it reminds me of another wine this year that I have raved about, the 2012 Fogline Sun Chase SC pinot. That wine and aspects of what Rachel has done with her’s, they are similar in tone. Rachel, great work!

• 2013 Rasi Wine Company Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (11/23/2014)
    Hey, I am thrilled to have the first note on this wine. To see Rachel come full circle after being influenced by Brian Loring, as well as the palate of her father, who I affectionately call Silk. I twisted the top off this and just poured a glass at room temp (about 68). I decided to put a chill on it too, to help see if the proper serving temp influences the wine, as well. Nice ruby color, ruby red, ligther shade. At room temp, this is very good, with a glossy texture and a fresh core of jammy strawberry fruit, rose petal, along with dried cherry to go with it. There is a nice shading of herb here in the finish too, and a hard cherry/berry candy note. Whatever wood/barrique was used here, it shows gently in the finish, a mix of light char/mocha but nothing I’d call oaky at all. With a bit of the proper chill, it then shows more of the dried cherry note. The gentle, dried red quality of this that lurks alongside the other jammier note is really delicious. Where this treads, somewhere between an old and new world expression, this could satisfy a # of people. A terrific effort from Rachel, great going!

Posted from CellarTracker