The 16 bottle Chardonnay Blowout Challenge!

K, so when I saw a liquor store by my apartment fire selling tons of 10-14 year old Chardonnays for $2 a bottle, I just couldn’t say no. To sweeten the deal, the nice cashier decided to only charge me for 12 bottles. Thus, I bring you the “Chardonnay Blowout Challenge” for the hefty price of $26.16.
:slight_smile:

The bottles are chilling in my trunk (polar vortex) as we speak. So here’s how it works: I’m going to start popping these babies in about 30 minutes time. Then, I’m going to attempt to score every single wine on the 100 point scale. If you can accurately guess which bottle will win in the comments before I start to post my scores, I will donate $20 to a charity of your choosing. If you’re a WB o.g. I expect a guess to be placed. Also, if you’re a lurker, come join the party, it’ll be fun. As a bonus, any wine that scores under 70 points is getting a picture of it being poured down my toilet. Happy guessing!

:wink:

Oh yeah, here’s the competition (from left to right):

-2004 Early Season “White Lie” Santa Barbra County
-2003 Evans & Tate “Gnangara” Unwooded
-2004 Napa Ridge “Coastal Vines” North Coast
-2001 Barton & Guestier
-2001 Brown Brothers
-2001 Ravenswood “Vitner’s Blend”
-2001 Columbia Crest Columbia Valley “Grand Estate”
-2002 Barton & Guestier Mâcon-Villages
-2001 Shale Ridge Monterey
-2002 Black Opal by Wolf Blass
-2002 Walnut Crest
-2002 Black Swan Vineyards
-2002 Silver Ridge
-2001 Frei Bros. Redwood Creek
-2001 Martin Ray Mariage Russian River Valley
-2000 Callaway Coastal
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I wonder how many will be DNPIM
do not put in mouth

good luck

1 Like

I’ll go with the Columbia Crest by a nose.

1 Like

The winner will be…2002 Barton & Guestier Mâcon-Villages

1 Like

Limbo wines, keep the bar low.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be DNPIN?

1 Like

I’ll bite…I think I have heard of maybe two of these wines [scratch.gif] good luck to you…

Winner 2001 Shale Ridge Monterey

1 Like

I’m with the Martin Ray

I’ll go Ravenswood, though I really wanted the ^^Martin Ray^^.

Already suspicious of the colors on most of dem Chards. But it’s your mouth!

…and I was going to add that I’d bet the Callaway (from beautiful Temecula) would finish last…until I saw some of the other competitors. YUCK!

1 Like

-2001 Columbia Crest Columbia Valley “Grand Estate” Should be an easy win

Don’t worry, as the scores come in, I’ll post a picture of each glass for further color analysis.

[cheers.gif]

Possibly, just because it is the only one not horrible.

The Grand Estates I remember as being so oaky it hurt, with enough butter to act as a salve.

I’ll go with the 2003 Evans & Tate “Gnangara” on the off chance it has developed a pleasant caramelized character.

P Hickner

1 Like

I chuckled at the “Gnangara” reminded me of an STD [shock.gif]

Hey, at least it’s “unwooded”!

[snort.gif]

Maybe we can work a trade?

That’s why I picked the darkest bottle. It’s the only advantage I could come up with.

1 Like

I’m going with the Ravenswood. And as good measure, if it wins I’ll donate $100 to the same charity (Foundation Fighting Blindness)

the Evans and Tate will be LOOOOOOOONG dead !

1 Like