TN: 2012 Elementary Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Volume 1

This is being offered to the Apsara list first but according to the website it is available for purchase now. Just one barrel bottled.

Disclaimer: This bottle was a gift from Robin asking for my impressions. I did my best to give it ample air considering how young it is.

• 2012 Elementary Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Volume 1 - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (11/16/2014)
    First look at a new wine. A California negotiant Cabernet from Robin Akhurst and Brian Schmaltz. Volume 1 comes from Oakville and that’s all I knew coming in. Cool label and the bottle shape is unique. Very appeling visual package. The wax capsule was nearly rock hard and took some elbow grease to cut through.
    Decanted in the AM, rebottled in the evening and brought to dinner at Walter Hansel Bistro. Had approx 15 hrs of air.
    Nose was black currant, coffee grounds, tobacco and hint of graphite. The palate is more young than fruity with more black currant, black raspberry and some rustic minerality. No bell pepper but no overt ripeness either. Medium/full bodied, good intensity but still a bit wound up. Striking a nice balance between fruit and tannin. Reasonably priced for the overall experience.

Posted from CellarTracker

Any information on the actual vineyard sourcing?