TN: The Greatest White Zinfandel Ever Made

1984 Ridge White Zinfandel, Amador County

I took a flyer on some old Ridge White Zinfandel a few months ago and a lazy Saturday seemed like the perfect time to open one. I was worried that perhaps the wine would be dead and gone. It was not.

Vibrant and tropical on the nose with beautiful aromas of guava, papaya and strawberry. The notes from the nose carry through to the palate where a touch of RS is perfectly balanced by the acidity. As the wine opens up, a beautiful blood orange comes through on the palate. If you like LdH Tondonia Rose, you will love this wine! I don’t know how Paul does it, but his wines are truly the stuff of magic. 92+

photo.JPG

Indeed! A Ridge rarity, is there another Rosé Zin out there like this?

Turley White Zinfandel is pretty great, It would be interesting to see how long it would hold up.

I love how conservative Paul’s notes are!
image.jpg

Mauritson makes a nice White Zin from the Rockpile Vineyard but it’s a saignee and I don’t think it’s made for the long haul. It says on the website they only produced 220cs of 2013 and it retails for $19, I was able to get some 2012 on closeout for a song. It’s pleasant but doesn’t taste like it’s built to age, nice strawberry fruit and a crisp, mineral finish.

Very cool Ryan. I would never have thought a 30 yo white zin would be alive, let alone drinking so well.

Ryan, thanks again for sharing such a wonderful bottle. Who would’ve guessed how impressive a 30 year old white Zin could be? Btw, that '97 Drouhin wasn’t too bad either.
:wink:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Curious, why is zin the only rose we call “white?”

A question I have wondered about as well.

Uh, you guys must not have heard of White Merlot.

Most of the usual suspects (Gallo, Sutter Home, etc.) make one. [cheers.gif]

Amazing. I almost wouldn’t believe it if it weren’t for the pictures showing the color of an alive wine.

College, baby! White Merlot en magnum on clearance. :wink:

Very cool, OP!

True story! Thanks again for the Burg!

Thanks! I had do a double-take when I tasted the wine, I never thought it would have held up so well!

Looks like Tegan and Morgan are also fans!

Don’t forget Wilson Creek’s White Cabernet Sauvignon.

Pretty sure we drank mags of Beringer “white Grenache” in college. Seemed pretty fancy at the time.