TN: 2005 Futo (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

• 2005 Futo - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (11/5/2014)
    Brought this to dinner at Morton’s to go head-to-head against the 2005 Abreu Thorevilos. Decanted both but both were pretty much ready to go right out of the gate. The Futo, which I thought was going to get smashed by the Abreu, held its own, but not in a way that I had expected. It was bright, cheerful, and voluptuous: the wine equivalent of Kate Upton. The nose is what made so distinctive. It smelled like Smarties — you know, those pastel-colored candies you used to eat as a kid. But there was also gobs of vanilla, raspberries, mint, red licorice, and creme de cassis — on both the nose and the palate. Rich, decadent, and delicious. Long finish. The only thing that it suffers from is too much heat; otherwise I would have scored it higher. But for lovers of big in-your-face wines, this is a real treat. Shared tastes with somm and a few of the servers. Each one, without fail, uttered the same thing: “WOW!” (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the update. The last time I had this wine was with you at Houston’s IIRC TN's: Houston's with the Boys - Futo, Ovid, SHS, Konsgaard - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I need to dig my other bottle out.

Jason

So, is it pronounced Foo-toh, or Few-Toh?

I totally forgot about this. Thought it was my first time. Gotta love those tasting notes though. Classic Whetstone!