TN: 2002 Ruinart Champagne Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs

• 2002 Ruinart Champagne Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Montagne de Reims, Champagne (11/5/2014)
    This wine was absolutely singing! The is reminiscent of white Burgundy with notes of white flowers, cheese rind, dried apricots and peaches, pear and crushed minerals. Kept changing in the glass, which is amazing. Plush and round upfront but then surprisingly light and vibrant with just the perfect zip of acidity to cleanse the palate. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Paul. Did you have the late disgorgement (cream colored label) or the early (dark label)?

I own both, haven’t opened either.

I beg to differ:

• 2002 Ruinart Champagne Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Montagne de Reims, Champagne (11/5/2014)
    Much ado about nothing. A mildly pleasant but thoroughly anonymous BdB. My remaining bottles (impeccably stored since release) will be going to auction. (83 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

same question for you, Nick

Dark labels.

I don’t question what you tasted, nor am I in a position to comment on whether it was flawed or not, but your note appears to be an extreme outlier, here, in the professional reviews, and on CT. Shame you had such a bad experience

Im in agreement with Paul. Ive opened 4/8 and have loved every one, going to let the other 4 age a few years. Probably one of my favorites. I have the dark label Neal. I cant wait to try the '04.

I liked it a lot!

12/16/2012 - I wrote: (Edit) 96 Points

2002 Champagne Tasting (Jan’s House): Well hello! My Champagne of the night and the lowest priced one, double winner. Almond, citrus, berries, green apples and minerals. A bit tart in a good way on the palate and the longest finish of the night. Two plus minutes. Super complex and still young. This should evolve over 2 decades. Wonderful and just moved into my top ten of the year.

Maybe Brad will chime in here, but his view was that the first (dark label) disgorgement was among the finest of 2002 and the later disgorgement was even better. I am very excited about the bottles I have. The 1996 maybe have been the best 96 I have had

Had the late disgorged bottle recently, was superb.

Right up there with the best '02’s.

Had the dark label back in July and consider it one of my favorite wines of the year.

I’ve had the black label 3-4 times and loved it. Thought I just got 3 more but its the cream color labeled. I was wondering if I had the correct wine? I’m hoping I’ll like it equally but won’t open one for at least a couple months.

This has been a fantastic champagne for me. One of the rare times I purchased in magnum also.

It’s a good thing.

Cream-colored label.

I had one of these 2 years ago and my review would be closer to the one above–beautiful Champagne, lots of energy, maybe classic BdB, but not anonymous. Was thinking of putting it up against the '02 Taittinger Comtes, but we were never able to organize the tasting…

Nick,

When and where-from did you buy your bottle(s)?

Vinopolis.

To add a bit more to the topic of the different disgorgements/labels that are mentioned above:

I visited Ruinart yesterday and one of the items I asked to taste was an older “black label” disgorgement and newer “white label” disgorgement of the 2002 Dom Ruinart BdB.

We had an early 2011 disgorged black label and an early 2012 disgorged white label.

From opening, I preferred the 2012 disgorged bottle as all of the aromas and flavors where brighter and more defined. With time and warmth, this difference became quite clear. The winemaker agreed on this although he still isn’t convinced that this difference is always going to be there as the differences could converge over time. What we did clearly agree on was that the 2012 disgorged bottles show very well and perform more like the magnums that were disgorged in 2010/2011 and dressed in black label attire.

Any release of the 2002 Dom Ruinart BdB is a winner, but the 2012 disgorgements (white label) take things to another level and the wine moves from being in the list to the top Champagnes from 2002 to a competitor for wine of the vintage.

The 2004 Dom Ruinart BdB continues to show well too - much more classical in style than the 02, but time should be a friend to this elegant, mineral, peach, and citrus filled baby.

Thanks for the info Brad. Just grabbed some of the white label. If anyone else is interrested Sokolin has it for $129. Husband will likely kill me but couldnt resist comparing the two. Think thats all the the bubbles for me this season unless I find '02 salon for a good price.