TN: 2012 Soliste Cellars Pinot Noir L'Ésperance

Got my delivery a little more than a week ago so was ready to give this a whirl for our Anniversary dinner. I also had the Narcisse earlier in the week and it was excellent( still need to finish off the note). As good as I thought during our visit with Don at the beginning of the month. Sonoma Coast at it’s best.

• 2012 Soliste Cellars Pinot Noir L’Ésperance - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley #10/30/2014#
    Expressive and exotic nose of black cherry, spice and pine it starts off light and airy with similar notes on the palate of dark red fruit, exotic spice and a touch of pine/forest floor. With air it gains power and depth and the tannins turn very fine and provide nice structure that carries it to a very long finish. The depth of flavor, complexity and finish are impressive. We followed the wine over 3 hours or so before and after dinner. Very young now and I think can actually improve in a few years. Drink now with decant or hold. Excellent ! #94 pts.#

Posted from CellarTracker

Fred -

funny you post this. my former boss and good friend is a huge pinot fan with a much better palate than mine. when i was last in LA i dropped off a couple of 2010s (foret) for him to give a try. He pulled a cork on Friday and the texts started coming. He was blown away. I have turned him on to both Littorai and Rivers Marie and he is more excited about Claude and Don’s wines. When i told him he was neither drinking best vintage nor best bottling he was even more excited!

Jeff

The winemaker and his wife were at a birthday dinner that I attended last night in the Bay area. My friend knows them. Funny how this should come up on my radar screen 2 days in a row.

Thanks for the note Fred. I’ve got this in the cue for the weekend. Had the Ambroisie last week and thought it was very well made but perhaps lacking the tension I prize in truly great pinot. I didn’t have a lot of time to contemplate it so looking forward to another go with Soliste.

Dan- you should seek out a few bottles. I posted a detailed write up on another thread from our visit in October. They had a tasting dinner in NY a few weeks ago.

John- I’m going to open the Ambrosie this Sunday and will post back. We had the 11 Chard this past sunday with a few folks who were with us on the trip and it was very good and showed as well as it did during the tasting. I do think the pinots might need a little time to settle from shipping based on how the Narcisse and Esperance improved with air back home compared to how well they showed from pnp at the tasting.

Opened this tonight. Initial impression was similar to the Ambroisie I had 2 weeks ago, very pretty but lacking weight and tension. However after a few hours of air, look out! This gained weight and retained the feminine, pretty character. Great balanced acidity as well. This is the Sonoma Coast kindred spirit to Chambolle (assuming no stems). The fruit is not as crunchy as many top Chambolle 1ers but the aromatics and flavors are related.

I say that to provide perspective to the Burg lover, not to suggest domestic Pinot has to be compared to Burgundy. I love them both when done well. Outstanding wine. Thanks again to Fred Daner for the rec.

John- good to hear. We had the Ambroisie early this week. It was very good but wasn’t quite up to the bottle we had in cali. Almost had a gevry appeal to it. To be fair though I was coming off of the flu and I know my palate was not 100%. I have no doubt though about the quality and effort that goes into making these wines.

We had the top end Sauvignon Blanc last night with 3 of our friends who were on our trip and it was absolutely singing.

97D06502-0A30-4B7C-BCFF-D412F5455BEF.jpeg
trying this tonight! the notes here
are making me happy to have taken the recommendation to buy it!