Tailgate question - what's the most expensive wine you have ever drank from a red Solo cup?

1997 Ridge Monte Bello here.

Note - blue Solo cups are also allowed. [cheers.gif]

Hard to say. My buddy use to have a pig roast every year where I’d bring a case of high end wine to drink out of solo cups.

I remember a Guigal la la that tasted bleeping awesome from a solo cup. Don’t recall vintage or vineyard

1982 Pichon Lalande. Out of a styro cup accompanied by an Italian sub.

Maybe a 85 Leroy Vosne 1er (forget which one) out of styro cups at a work “offline” in 2006 or so.

Well, it wasn’t from a solo cup, but Selosse Substance from a plastic cup – after previously decanting the Selosse into a clear plastic bottle to avoid confiscation by the police (“It’s just apple juice ossifer, hic.”).

Just after I joined the wine trade I met a school friend on the platform of a railway station. He was in the trade, and had just come back from a tasting in London with open bottles of Le Montrachet and Romanée-Conti in his bag. He gave me a swig of each. No plastic cups, though.

1961 Cheval Blanc. I think some bastard actually caught me on film with it, though.

(Too early in the thread?)

'03 Giacosa Barolo Falletto w/ Taco Truck food

An '89 Mouton at 11:30pm Wednesday, August 25th, 1999 after a Reds/Braves game and 3+ hours of drinking Guinness. It seemed like the perfect time to crack it. I can still remember tasting it…it was that memorable.

1993 DRC La Tache, and it was still awesome.

Not quite the same but I’ve enjoyed a variety of single malt scotches out of a hip flask at 10 in the morning. Tomorrow it’ll be Oban 14.

Half bottle of 2002 Petrus I found for a decent price at Table and Vine while at a conference. no wine glasses, drank straight from the bottle.

1929 Latour in the parking lot of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, before the First Leonard-Hagler fight in 1987. In styrofoam cups. We also had a '59 Petrus and a '78 Duckhorn 3 Palms Merlot before the fight.

We ended in the the MGM Grand Parking lot because that is where we were staying. The fight was at Caesar’s Palace, but it was a little crazy there. Such a great night, and what a fight.

I was offered a 1982 La Mission at a Jets Tailgate in a Solo Cup, but luckily I had a box a Spiegelaus with me. I think Tom wins, BUT I did once buy a bottle of 1989 Yquem in the parking lot. Drank it from real glasses later on.

I was just a lucky boy back then. I was invited to go to the fight by a couple of major wine collectors when I was managing a wine shop in Orlando Florida. We actually took their private jet to the fight, drank nothing by old Grace Family Vineyards Cabernets on the way there. I was just a lucky, lucky participant. We actually drank a '31 Quinta de Noval Nacionale on the trip back - and neither of them liked Port - so I drink the whole bottle myself.

I sold an 82 Mouton ($300) in 1994 to a group of guys who had us remove the cork (horizontally) and carefully decant into their Mason Jar…

2010 Olivier LeFlaive Les Folatieres this past summer. I brought some leftovers to our lake and didn’t have any stems.

I am surprised that if you own a lake you don’t have any stems. [cheers.gif] [snort.gif] [wink.gif]

That brings back memories - watched that fight on closed circuit at Boston Garden with 15000 people on their feet going nuts for the whole fight - those Hagler/Leonard and Hagler/Hearns fights were unbelievable! sorry for the thread drift…