Anniversary weekend....

I have a few moments - just wanted to throw out a few notes on some wines that were shared over the past weekend! My wife and I were celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary where we got engaged many years ago. The Monterey Peninsula is full of cozy weather, fabulous lodging, and great food/wine :slight_smile:. We had a few wonderful dinners + lunches over the weekend - I brought a few bottles with and the rest were purchased off lists. Passionfish, the Pacific’s Edge Restaurant, and the Post Ranch Inn/Restaurant are world class - we love the area.

Some wines that were opened not including a corked bottle of '02 Rousseau Chambertin :frowning::
2011 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre: This was a flat out fresh and fabulous chablis - racy savory notes to start - tart generous fruit. This really extended in the mouth with wonderfully balanced viscosity and acidity. We both agreed - a nice wine to enjoy at sunset and before dinner :slight_smile:.

2002 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Montmains: Broader shoulders here - full exposure to fruit flavors here with lots of racy/waxy tart apple scents and flavors + savory lime. Large and viscous when mentally compared to the Brocard chablis but still wonderfully fresh and energetic. The energy here really saves this from coming off as over done - a long and savory wine for sure. I still prefer the Brocard if I had to pick a favorite chablis over the weekend.

2007 Domaine Michel Niellon Chevalier-Montrachet: This was firing on all cylinders this past Saturday night. Pale straw color with sparkles throughout… Lime zest, light perfumed honeysuckle, with really nice sensation of cold stones in the background. Seemed young and stacked - I like the way this bottle turned out which was different from the last time.

2005 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles: Sure - 2005 maybe wasn’t the most stacked and balanced wines that D.Leflaive ever made but I’m liking them the more I taste them! There’s a wonderful mix of grand cru like viscosity and broad flavors and a freshness that overcomes any 2005 white burgundy doubts you might have. Anyway, Kelly and I loved this bottle and I just placed 3-4 on our drink soon shelf here at home :slight_smile:.

2001 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes: This was placed in a decanter right as we got to the restaurant. There’s a sense of largesse here that was still present even 3hrs into the dinner - this will be a long lived wine for sure. There was still a wonderful feeling of this wine being open and generous - even the tanins gave a wee bit to us that night. Lovely aromas of ripe cherries, pomegranate, and other dark stone fruits - savory acidity and giving tanins. Not ready to go by any measure but still very pleasurable with some air at this point.

2001 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses: This wine was significantly less “dark” than the Vogue Moose - cranberry color with purplish sparkles. Lots of sappy flavors of earth driven cherry and other pine forest aromas and flavors. Nice perfume here - came off delicate and delicious to the both of us. Liked it - would go great with a nice light pasta dish IMHO.

1979 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Riserva Speciale Bussia di Monforte: Well - this has to be our wine of the weekend for sure. This was a perfectly stored and cared for bottle over all these years that give sooooo much. The overall finish of this wine was off the charts - a wine that you could sip on for hours not needing anything else. The nose was full of really nice aromas or rose water, touches of spiced blackberry, and lots of other savory truffle aromas/flavors. A knock-out wine for sure - these just need 30+ years in the cellar.

1991 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg: I just love the '91 DRCs and have enjoyed several over the past couple of years. A wonderfully clean and transparent example of this wine - lovely truffle aromas - elegant throughout. I think I like the '91 DRC RsV better in the end but this Riche is no slouch. My last bottle of this wine and a proper going away party was given to it :slight_smile:.

A pic of that wonderful '79 Giacosa Barolo Riserva Bussia di Monforte…
'79 Giacosa.jpg
CHEERS and thanks for reading!

Congrats bud!! Glad to hear you guys had a great anniversary weekend :)bummer on the Rousseau!

The giacosa sounds incredible. Wonder if I have the patience to keep my hands off my red labels for that long!!

Thx Charlie :slight_smile:. Don’t worry - if you don’t have the patience I should have some nice bottles in time to share with you [cheers.gif].

Just thinking - I may be in the 2nd stage of Charlie withdrawal :slight_smile:. A quick weekend to LA might need to happen!!

Happy Anniversary Jon!

Nice wines. Did you decant the Giacosa from the cradle?

Happy anniversary, Jon–nice wines to celebrate!

Thx Don, Mike, and Andy :slight_smile:.

Yep Mike - straight from the cradle which seemed to be the way the wine liked to be treated!

You’re in trouble with Klapp :slight_smile:

LOL! I blame the som for any unforeseen errors in service protocol [truce.gif] [dance-clap.gif]

Congratulations to Kelly and you, Jon !

I see that you are practicing with that Barolo for our luncheon theme in early December !

Best,
Hank [cheers.gif]

Did I earn a trip into the Favre endless cellar for the suggestion? Just kidding, happy anniversary!!
champagne.gif

Happy Anniversary to both Kelly and yourself. It’s wonderful you two found ech other. You are a great couple.

Wine sounds fantastic as it should. This is what we collect for right ?

Trying my best Hank. Forgot to mention that my dish for dinner that night had lots of shaved truffles on top :slight_smile:.

Yes you have Ken! We will start with Berns endless cellar in a few months from now :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Nico! Yep - exactly the reason :slight_smile:.

let me know bud, we’re here and ready!

Ahhhhhh……my two favorite things…the Monterey Peninsula, and Favre notes! flirtysmile Congrats! Did you stay at Highlands Inn? Have had many wonderful Anniv dinners there at Pacific’s Edge…front left corner table is key! Very expensive wine list, but surprisingly good prices on Burgundy. And….we always eat breakfast on the deck there at the California Market…even when we don’t stay at the Highlands……best view!
Now you got me itching to go…….! [cheers.gif]

Hmmmm maybe a Favre ?.0 Monterey style in the future??? [worship.gif]

Pacific Edge has some good deals on the list for sure.

Congrats Jon! Some nice wines there.

Yep Buzz - upgraded suite there at Highlands! A special place for Kelly and I… #12 table for sure :slight_smile:. The table up on the next level with the bank seating faced out toward the sunset is just about as good of a table as #12. The service staff there is wonderful especially for wine - the som took very good care of us after he know we were serious. Super cool!

Buzz - have you been to the Post Ranch yet?