Best Winery For Visit Within Hour of Santa Barbara

We have two days in Santa Barbara next weekend with one day on the “Urban Wine Trail” which includes a scheduled visit to Sanguis. For our second day we want to visit several wineries that are within 60-90 minutes each way outside of Santa Barbara. We would love to go to Paso Robles but two hours in each direction isa little more than we want to drive.

Where to visit a bit closer?

For perspective I am passionate about big, jammy syrah believing that Sanguis '09 Six White Horses is a benchmark and defines the kind of wine that I am obsessed with. Failing the opportunity to find or taste something like this is there a winery that has an especially beautiful setting? I’ve also been fortunate, over the years, to explore Napa, Kelowna, Walla Walla, VA, Tuscany, the Veneto, etc. (I’ve travelled a lot for business.) Still, this will be my first trip to the area around Santa Barbara and just north.

Thanks for the advice.

Palmina in Lompoc for decidedly-Santa-Barbaran versions of Italian varietals, the newly-opened Loring-Cargasacchi tasting room and Roofie Dispensary, Arcadian, and Brander (because I think the grounds are cool, if for no other reason)

Many of Todd’s recommendations are Pinot dominant wineries. In Los Olivos, Tercero has Rhones, as does Andrew Murray. Concilience used to make bigger Syrah but I’ve not been lately. On 246, Babcock still makes some Syrah I think. Foley down the street has a nice setting for a picnic as does Dierberg (also has one syrah).

In Santa Barbara proper, the Margerum tasting room has several choices including some Syrah-based wines.

For bigger Syrah you could just head up to Los Olivos and hit Beckman, Stolpman, and Andrew Murray. Then if you want more there is still Qupe and Tercero.

Consider checking out Margerum in Santa Barbara. It’s on El Paseo off State St. towards Anacapa St.

Edit: Missed Bruce suggesting Margerum. +1 for that then.

I think Melville has some of the more extracted Syrahs in that area - just outside of Lompoc. Their 12s are humdingers. Arcadian may be known more for their Pinots and Chard, but the Syrahs are brilliant in my view.

The Ojai Vineyard? It’s 35/45 minutes away from Santa Barbara (when I was local, I had it down to 35 minutes), and if you take 150, it’s a really lovely drive. Plus downtown Ojai has Azu, which has fantastic tapas.

If you do go to Los Olivos, in addition to the above, Larner has a tasting room downtown with big Rhones. It is on the same block as Tensley (which is, in turn, across the street from Stolpman and just around the corner from Tercero). Andrew Murray is across the street from Larner and near Alta Maria, which is pinot/chard focused but also carries a couple of biggish Rhones from Autonom.

If you decide you want scenery, you’ll need to head out of town a little, but if you do taste in Los Olivos, downtown is easy to walk, and you’ll have quite a few good options. There are also good places to eat there as well.

Thanks to all who have responded. Part of the pleasure of the trip will be researching all of your suggestions this evening along with plotting on a map. …and a sip or two, too.

I’m only just starting to read the responses but Beckman Block 6 looks like a good model for me.

Thanks again to everyone, appreciated.

This…Arcadian syrah is a hidden gem. I dont think anyone is going to call it jammy, but its not on the bleeding lean acid edge either.

I have no idea what they pour at the tasting room but any from the 05 vintage are doing really well right now in my mind.

Head over to Happy Canyon and see the new Dierberg estate - the valley is gorgeous, and the winery a very signicant new estate that might be the most ambitious in the entire county.

We just got back from SB and the syrah highlights of our trip were Sangius and Jaffurs (also in SB and not that far from Sanguis). Los Olivos is a pretty little down town and i’d agree with the recommendations that people have listed including Larner and Stolpman.

I would really recommend stopping by the new SB Public Market. They have some really awesome food stands and you can bring your food into a great winebar/shop to eat and drink. The shop there has a really great selection of local wines.

Enjoy your trip

Hit Jaffus in SB proper - based in what you say you like, I think this will meet your needs.

If you make it to Los Olivos, you are in SB County rhone central - within a 5 min walk of each other are Qupe, Epiphany, Andrew Murray, Stolpman, Tensley, Refugio Ranch, Samsara, and my place . . .

Cheers!

Larryshafer, Seth V., thank you. Jaffurs is now part of our trip. Sincere thanks!

I relate to ambition (a lifetime of it, some realized!). Thank you.

Making Syrah in Santa Barbara | Food | KCET is an interesting piece about Jaffurs.

No can visit Starlane out in Happy Canyon . . .unless you have an ‘in’ :slight_smile: That said, not much syrah to speak of out there . . .

Ojai is a must for Syrah, PN and everything else.
ABC is in Santa Barbara but it’ll only be PN and chard. Still highly recommended.

About a month ago we tasted at Stolpman, Beckman, Andrew Murray, Loring, Cargasacchi, Sunstone, and Zaca Mesa. Stolpman was by far the best for us.

I have known Tom Stolpman for almost 40 years. Good guy and great wine. For killer Syrahs Joey Tensley and Beckman.

Tercero is go to for Rhones but the owner is kinda flakey. Like last Saturday when we were in town and the owner had the chutzpah to be at the best of 805 tasting. The nerve.

I also like Foxen. Billy makes several different from Rhones to Cabs but I like his Pinots the most.

Joe,

Based on the wine you described you like, I would definitely hit Jaffurs before or after Sanguis, then head straight to Los Olivos (about a 45-minute drive from downtown SB) and hit Tensley. After that, definitely try Dragonette and complete your day breaking bread with the ubiquitous Larry Schaffer at Tercero! Personally, I wouldn’t waste a minute on the “Urban Wine Trail” in the SB Funkzone (based on your stated wine preference). Have fun!