Charbono

I am interested in trying Charbono from California. I have seen that Turley makes one. Can Any berserkers recommend the Turley offering or should I look elsewhere?

Haven’t had a recent vintage but I have enjoyed Summers in the past.

Tofanelli has a nice one. Same fruit at Turley but about $15 less per btl.

Robert Foley Charbono

+1
And if you run into any old Inglenook Charbono from the '50s, take a chance if the storage was good. I’ve had some amazing bottles.

So have I, all gone now.

I have a bottle of ‘10 Turley. When should I open it? Sorry to piggy-back you, OP. I can’t tell ya’ anything because this will be my first one. :slight_smile:

An interesting grape that seems to be the same as Argentina’s Bonarda. The old Inglenook’s were indeed wonderful… And if anyone got one from a pristine source I would love to hear about it! I have not had the Turley version. I am a big fan of the Robert Foley Charbono’s. They drink well young, esp if decanted. But age spectacularly… And careful as they throw significant sediment. They are rich, spicy, and great complement to good BBQ and other charred meats 8^) I know I have seen other CA producer’s versions of these but they escape me now. Cheers, Bob

We’ve made a Charbono at Harrington Wines the past few years although none this year (unfortunately the vineyard got pulled out for a housing development this past spring). Pretty distinctive variety, and I agree with others here about the old Inglenooks - worth seeking out.

If memory serves, both Edmond St John and Fife made it and both were quite nice. That would have been in the 1990s.

As far as it being Bonarda, that’s true sometimes and not others. The grapes weren’t labeled and DNA-registered back in the day, and some Bonarda is Charbono, some isn’t. Kind of like Petite Sirah - some was just Syrah, some not, and CA eventually decided that it had to be Durif.

Maybe people worry too much about the specific variety rather than the specific vine that grows well and produces good fruit in their vineyards.

My next door neighbor, Frediani Vineyards, grows it and it has gone to T-Vine, and probably others. Also here in Calistoga is a small producer by the name of Shypoke.

Not a lot of this grown anywhere. Very few sources, and it appears many of them are in Calistoga. Summers? Check. Frediani sourced? Check. Shypoke? Check. Tofanelli? Check. All Calistoga fruit I believe.

Charbono is of no interest to me. The variety used to have a cult following in California. I find Aglianico, Sagrantino,Nero d’Avola, and Negrello Mascalese, all from Italy, to be of more interest. To say nothing of some of the interesting varieties coming from Greece and the rest of the world. Charbono and Petite Sirah can age but they do not become more complex IMO.

The Foley is from the Heitz Vineyard, which was the source of those Inglenooks, and is also used in the Heitz family’s own label, Shypoke.

The greatness of the site shows well in the Foley, but to my tastes the high degree of ripeness turns them into a crying shame. So close. So close to a known quantity, but so far. But, very well done for its style.

On the other hand, Shypoke used to be perfect. A regular buy for me. This vineyard really emphasizes a unique heady perfume this variety can have. Then they must have changed cooperage or something. Last few vintages I tried had splintery wood. Not sure how that could be to anyone’s preference. Seems like a bad choice kneecapping the potential. It’s been several years since I’ve had one, though. Worth a revisit.

I’d be really happy if I could find a producer making something close to the benchmarks I’ve had.

Tofanelli. I’ve had purchased bottles from 1999 through 2004 and current vintages during the occasional visit and they are consistently very good (I prefer them with some age so most of my bottles remain resting in the cellar). Estate fruit from the family vineyards. IIRC, Tofanelli fruit used to be sold to Inglenook (I could be wrong -it’s been a few years since a visit when Vince gave us the history and some interesting/humorous Napa stories).

I got a 6’er of the Shypoke (forget the vintage) a few years ago on closeout deal, and it was pretty good for the $. Might be worth checking out a bottle or two if come across it.

Paging Greg dal Piaz…

Didn’t Louis Martini used to produce one?

Calder Charbono is available in the DC area for ~$30 per bottle.

+1 on Summers!

My recollect is that the basis for the old BV SpecialBurgundy, which was a terrific wine, was Charbono.
Tom