2012 Larkmead Cabernet release - $90/bottle (no this is not for the Solari)

Wow. I love Larkmead but their price increases over the past few years have been very aggressive. I thought that with the larger 2012 production they would hold the line on pricing or at least continue creeping up modestly, instead they seem to have put the pedal to the metal. Looking back at my allocation from last year, the 2011 Cabernet was priced at $70 and the Solari at $110. So this is an increase of almost 30% on the Cabernet.

I’m rarely surprised by Napa pricing, but this one is a surprise to me.

Agree. have always thought these represented a terrific value and was disappointed to see they large price increase. Will continue to buy but at some point will drop this too

bob

2010 was $70.
2011 they kept at $70 i guess b/c otherwise no one would buy any…
2012 at $90 is seriously disappointing…more power to them i guess…

Not to mention rather expensive shipping…

The reg cab was $55 IIRC when I first started buying. I really like the Firebelle, but my allocation of this has been getting smaller over the years. I guess this is the free markets at work - they can charge what they want, and we can decide if we want to buy.

FWIW, when we were out in August, we had a VERY candid conversation with someone who does a ton of farming throughout Napa (and has his own label too). The cost per ton of Napa Cabernet is back through the roof. Top quality fruit? Yeah, it’s bad. I think it’s going to be somewhat normal to see price increases over the next few years.

There has to be a ceiling for the non top tier wines. I think Larkmead is right on that border.

Hayfork still at $60, with the benefit of family owned grapes. Drinkward Peschon, also at $60 from purchased fruit.

I keep hearing all the Napa apologists screaming ‘grape prices!’, I’m still not buying it…

Agreed. Larkmead has owned those vineyards for some time now.

I think that has nothing to do with pricing. If you bought a case of 61 Latour on release or a new convertible Corvette in 1968 or some California real estate in the 1970s and go to sell it tomorrow, your historic cost basis would have nothing to do with the price you ask. Zero.

Same thing for Napa wineries or anyone else selling anything. A seller’s price is based on what the seller thinks the buying market will bear, and the market has its own logic for pricing that is independent of you as a seller, your input costs, the profit margin you want, or anything else.

If that’s he case I’m not sure why grape pricing even matters since their costs are relatively static year to year

I was disappointed to see that price increase as well. I had previously thought of Larkmead as an excellent value but now, not so much.

has the winery said that’s the reason for the increase?

or is that speculation here?

They’ve long been my favorite winery and, as of this increase, have priced themselves out of what I’m willing to pay. I’ve bought on release since the 2006 vintage, which was $50 or $55 for the cab and $45 for the Firebelle. The Firebelle took a huge jump a few vintages ago…and now the cab has, too, after inching up $5 every year except for 2011. There has to be a limit and they’re reached it for me. Sad to say, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised after Rivers-Marie priced their Calistoga (Larkmead) cab at $90 this summer, after previously selling the single vineyard designates for $75.

In a way though, this just frees up the budget to discover other parts of the world… hopefully areas that haven’t hit $90 for the base Cab…

I’ve been buying the cab since it was $50. They have always represented a terrific value and i could understand the Solari and Solan pricing and a general creep up in the Napa Cab and Firebelle. I got the email on the plane ride home from our Napa trip. This puts the regular cab against Forman, Bressler and getting close to Seavey( with club discount).

I have a serious amount of 06-11 Larkmead so based on that and the price increase I sent them a note letting them know I was passing. It’s a shame but life goes on. Myriad, Quivet, Rudius and Drinkward Napa all available under $70 and for $90 i can get some of the 2010 top Barlo’s.
Cheers,
Fred

Thankfully CA cab is not my favorite varietal. I too have gotten feed up with the price increases and said good bye to R-M and Rudius. Still buying the cabs that Bedrock offers and Keating GIII.

Russ’ post about Rudius reminded me that their '2012 release is coming up next week. Anyone know pricing for the upcoming offerings? If they’re priced right, I might place my first order with them, as I apparently have some newly freed up $ in the wine budget.

Andrew- the napa is $68. The Pritchard Hill is $128. They are plush and ripe but balanced and very good. This is my favorite Napa to date.

If I was a betting man the SVD will be $90-$100.

Edited to account for Fred’s post - $128!! Okie Dokie. Guess I was a little low.

Well, the Pritchard Hill is well out of reach, but I’ll look forward to grabbing a couple of the Napa cab to try. Thanks for the heads up on those, Fred.