Seriously, when has Prum made a bad wine?

• 2005 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/1/2014)
    #17-06, 7.5% abv. I pulled the cork on this bottle and caught a heady whiff of that Prum sulphur – it’s pretty prevalent on this bottle alright. On the other hand, a few minutes of air already has cleared away a great deal of it, and I’ve no doubt this will be a bit more approachable in the next few days. The nose is dominated by big tropical fruit aromas – guava seems to be particularly prevalent, followed by pineapple. You can also get wisps of secondary aromatics, but they are faint and hard to detect under the tropical fruit salad. The palate is quite firm and unyielding at this point, with an almost chalky quality. The fruit is quite ripe, and this definitely swerves to the sweet side of things, but both the minerality and acidity serve to keep it in check. The haunting finish lingers on for minutes… I should buy more of this. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

At first I thought the 2006s weren’t good. But then I realized I was an idiot.

Ok, I have some of the WS-GKA of that. I’ll put one on deck.

I bet time will proove you wrong on that.

When you drink them very young? The sulfur can be off putting to some.

Or,

When the first two initials are not JJ? [wow.gif]

Of course it’s not true that JJ Prum use more sulphur than peers, but sponti aromas are easily confused with sulphur. That said I like it!

It most definitely will prove him wrong.

Me too [cheers.gif]

This right here is why I don’t like his wines. And I rarely think they get better with time. I don’t like the petrol aromas. It’s almost like brett.

Petrol is rare in these wines, but if you don’t get them don’t worry, it’s not compulsory.

Leaves more for us Ian.

I only have a couple but I’m in no hurry with those.

I never heard that before. Interesting. A quick google search seems to have the issue divided. I will need to check it out when I have more time. Why is it though, it is only JJ Prum wines that this seems to be an issued with? Anyway, thanks for the info.

It’s not just Prum. It’s just that Prum gets tagged with it the most. I have seen the same thing with St. Urbans-Hof for example.

It’s not just Prum, Lieser is if anything more pronounced.

I don’t have an analysis of who only uses natural yeasts, but I suspect most top producers do, but why the effect varies I’m not sure.

2004 (which I bought) was not what it could have been.

I think the 04s are great now!

I asked Katerina Prum once why their wines seems to have more spritz than most producers. She said she didn’t know, but that it might be because they don’t move the wine a lot along the way. It’s speculation, but that might also explain why sulfur or yeast aromas are sometimes more intense in Prum wines.

I guess that makes sense John, I hadn’t thought of that, thanks.