Will You Be Buying The 2010 Monprivato?

Still no tasting notes. Will you take a chance buying the 2010 Monprivato?

I’m not a buyer, the premium will be too great. Any money I might have spent on Monprivato, will go toward 2011 Cru wines from Produttori - those are worth getting excited about.

What is the pricing on this now? Around $150 or so? Maybe you’ll catch a break and get it for $120?

Count me out, even if it is fantastic.

Michael,

I don’t think you need tasting notes to determine whether to buy the 2010 Monprivato. I have utmost faith in Mascarello. If it’s a price issue, I could understand. But, that said, relative to other bottles like Vietti or A. Conterno, shit, it’s a bargain.

I pretty much felt this way also, until hearing about concerns with the 2009. Do you have any personal experience with the 2009 Monprivato?

@ 150 no. @ 100 I would grab 3-4. I recently bought a case of the 08 at around 100. I rather back fill than pay for vintage hype.

Sadly no unless there is a significant sale.

No sir. 2008 was the last for me (snagged at $80/btl). Now I’m too old and the new pricing too dear to justify. With few exceptions, I’m only backfilling Nebbiolo, though I may grab a few early-drinking '11s when those are released.

But when it comes to pricey, glacially evolving new vintages, I’m done.

Going off of memory from what the wholesaler told me, this is going to be $150ish in the market place, maybe slightly lower, but not much. There is not a lot of wine to go around from what they tell me.

Conterno CF will be $200, or there abouts, but not much cheaper. Also going to be tough to find.

Of course I’ll be buying Monprivato - maybe my last vintage though

That is a tough pill for me to swallow. I tasted that from cask, and that is very sad news.

Depends upon the price and also availability. Ideally, I would like to purchase 6 but that may boil down to 1-2.

How are you defining this?

Several things: from a base perspective, there is always a chance being taken when one buys an untried wine, regardless of producer. The price of an unrated 2010 Monprivato is going to be high. If it scores high, it’s going to get a lot more expensive. And also, there are the unanswered questions regarding the 2009 Monprivato.

Can you explain this?

I tasted the 2009 Monprivato, and found it quite good out of the gate. Reminded me a lot of the 2007.

[quote=“Michael S. Monie”]Still no tasting notes. Will you take a chance buying the 2010 Monprivato?[/quot

Of course I will. I tasted it at Vinitaly and it was fantastic

I’ve been lucky enough to get to travel every few months to Milan, and take the opportunity whenever possible to head down to Piemonte. What I’ve noticed on my travels is that for certain wines the Italy vs US price is pretty close… for instance, Brovia single vineyards were ~ $10 USD difference in price for the 2010’s. The big names like Giacomo Conterno & Gaja are also like this - no advantage to buying there vs the US.

However, some of them are astoundingly different. Guiseppe Rinaldi is (if memory serves) €42 at the cellar door, €55 from a place I do a lot of business with in Milan (I’d consider their prices “average” but selection awesome). Bartolo Mascarello is ~ €50 Euros. Cappellano Pie Franco is €60 Interestingly enough most of biggest gaps are on the Traditional producers.

All of that leads me to G. Mascarello. I haven’t seen 2010’s, but the '08’s and '09’s were in the range of €65. Even accounting for a cellar door price increase. $150 sounds high. But given G. Macarello is imported by Rare Wine Co - who also imports B. Rinaldi and B. Mascarello - and I think it points to importer margins vs the producer jacking up their prices.

That said I tasted the wine in Italy and it’s certainly worth buying if you can afford US prices :slight_smile:

I no longer make direct references to what professional critics have to say about any wine. But I will say that someone whose judgement I trust, found it lacking, even after having the Ca’d’Morissio added to the cuvée.

I occasionally backfill Nebbiolo when something irresistible comes up. I’m too old and already have too much in the cellar to be buying wines that won’t be at peak within the next 10 years.

The issue though is that the cellar door sales in Europe work completely differently than we are used to here. Those are the best prices in the market, where we are used to Cali winery prices being the highest.