What is the darkest side of wine?

Recently, I posted a thread on the topic of wine as a means of personal fruit-bearing. While I think most of us would overwhelmingly agree that wine is a bearer of happiness (myself included), I have to admit, I feel there occasionally exists a far less attractive side to wine appreciation. Truth be told, the “darkness” of which I’m alluding to is one that I believe exists inside each and every one of us, whether we care to admit it or not. Simply put, the “darkness” upon which I am referring to is elitism; The idea that we are somehow above and removed from “lesser” wine, beer, or spirit drinkers. Now, there obviously are many different scenarios and gradations that come into play here, but I know I have seen my fair share of cliques and exclusivity in and around wine drinkers. As you read this, please remember that this is a broad generalization. My intent is neither to segregate, nor accuse any individuals or small groups. Please remember I am painting with broad strokes here. For you, this may be an inconsequential issue. On the contrary, it may be one you happen to agree with. Who knows. What I’m most interested in is your opinion on what you believe the darkest side of wine to be.

[popcorn.gif]

Well, the potential for alcoholism certainly seems to jump out…

Classic!

The darkest side of wine:

More 1982 Petrus is served each year in Las Vegas than was ever made.

No elitism here. While I might shun mundane wine, I always welcome a good beer. Elitist attitudes are adopted by choice, regardless of one’s lifestyle. They can also be rejected by choice.

Premox and TCA.

PS f*ck that elitism shit.

This is a ridiculous and frivolous hobby which living in a time of unparalleled wealth gives many of us the opportunity to indulge in. There is elitism in places - but I completely agree with Michael, one can choose entirely how to deal with it…and whether to engage. I certainly can’t drink as well as many on this board, but I don’t begrudge them that do. If people think less of me because of the size of my DRC holdings…well I’m really not going to worry about that…

Alcoholism on the other hand, is devastating - and an occupational hazard I think for wine makers.

I agree, I’m at a point in life where I’m starting to enjoy what I’ve worked long and hard to achieve. Along with that comes a bit of excess. This year I’m exploring wine in greater depth and having a great time. Maybe I’m drinking more but it’s not for the buzz… It’s that I’m drinking better stuff! This year I’ve spent a small fortune in wine. [snort.gif]

Really?

I don’t get this thread

Mark, you drink some of the most elitist wine possible then justify it with weird tastings of junk wines.

I don’t think most wine drinkers are elitist, I am fed up with society saying that because you like something good you are elitist.

Yes there are a few wine snobs but the are a very small minority and mostly they buy on price and name and not actual quality

Alan

Drinking and driving is the worst subset of this. A wonderful tasting dinner 90 minutes away. Drive home with a smile or stay in a corporate cubicle for $150 plus taxes and fees? The latter, every time.

Personally, I think more and more about the environmental footprint of my drinking. I’m not really even sure how to quantify it, but I’m sure it’s not a good thing.

It’s all relative. I know numerous co-workers who enjoy Barefoot or Apothic and are quite happy with them. They go to local wine festivals and enjoy drinking catawba or other local sweet wines just as those of us here attend offlines and drink Napa or Burgs. What any of us here drink on a regular basis they would probably find unpalatable, just as most of us do what they enjoy. Drink what you like. I can’t afford Harlan or Latour but there are plenty who can; I’m just as happy with my Bedrock and Prum. I agree with what others mention - alcoholism, DUI etc are far darker than “elitism”.

+1

You bring up some very good points, Alan. To me, “elitism” has nothing to do with which wines you buy or how much money you spend so long as you are buying wines that you truly enjoy drinking. What I find elitist, is letting a wine’s pedigree cloud the true quality of what is in the bottle. If you’re in a wine circle and happen to taste an underwhelming bottle of a big name GC Burg, do you really want to be the “jerk” who scores that mediocre bottle 85 points? From what I’ve seen, (this is a broad generalization) people are far more likely to deem the wine “flawed” instead of assigning a low score to it. Another thing I’ve noticed over the years is when you taste a wine blind amongst someone who brought the bottle, they are, on average, going to score that wine between 1-2 points higher than you. I have been tasting at least one bottle blind per week for the past four years. I’ve noticed this phenomenon countless times from both sides of the aisle. I apologize if I come off a bit brash, as this is a topic I can’t help but find fascinating.
:slight_smile:

I’m not sure how often that these still occur, but at least from an appearance perspective, 30-50 bottle,taste and spit verticals seem excessive.

Since when was being elitist seen as being negative?

The potential for alcoholism and the unnerving habit of making prices so relative. You easily end up spending hundreds of dollars on several bottles while justifying it as being a bargain. Every now and then I step back and ask myself it it’s really worth it all or if I’m just caught up in some mass delusion.

Excess, leading to potential health and financial concerns, as Rachel notes above.

When you look down upon other people for their preferences which differ from your own; it’s okay to think that some foods or wines are poor quality, because some are, but one should try not to extend that judgment to those who like those products, or to think that you’re made of better stuff because you like a better wine.