What is the darkest side of wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brad S c h i e r

#51 Post by Brad S c h i e r » September 29th, 2014, 6:43 am

rachel mcdonald wrote:
Ed Murray wrote:
If it ain't a joint account, it ain't a true commitment (just one man's misguided opinion.)

...ducking!
Kind of how I feel as well. It was my idea, and honestly, even without wine, I spend a lot more money than she does.
Totally agree with you. Figure out what works for you - no 1 way to do this. We got married a bit late (30s). My wife and I have separate accounts and have weekly or so "discussions" about finances. Reasoning for this is that I follow where broadly every penny of mine goes - and check my balances 3-4 times a week. She looks at it monthly (which is crazy to me but works for her). Why would I want to tell her shes wrong or vice versa? I never want to say "you spent how much at "Nordstroms" and how much i spent on wine. We have targets and broadly stay to those - and ask eachother for help when we need to. Married over 7 years with kids and never an argument on finances...though some well placed wine orders - helps avoid this.

I had some newlywed friends ask for advice on finances and my advice was to not follow anyone's advice - figured out what works for you - shoot its half the "fun" of it. I Stand by that 100%.

Sorry for the rant - just one of my pet peeves.

Mark B

#52 Post by Mark B » September 29th, 2014, 7:00 am

Also, I've always thought Constellation's "Project Genome" was a rather dark and disturbing exercise.

http://www.ncagr.gov/markets/Portals/10 ... Habits.pdf
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-09-29 at 8.43.34 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-09-29 at 8.43.34 AM.png (301.73 KiB) Viewed 488 times
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Terence T-Bone Livingston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Terence T-Bone Livingston » September 29th, 2014, 7:12 am

Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:Also, I've always thought Constellation's "Project Genome" was a rather dark and disturbing exercise.
Perhaps, but obviously very successful targeting and catering to the masses out there. Gotta give them credit where credit is due.
ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Jay Miller » September 29th, 2014, 7:30 am

Weight gain for me. Of course that has more to do with me cooking dinner and always falling prey to the Jewish fear of "what if there isn't enough food on the table?".

We have separate accounts. I know Arnold thinks I spend too much on wine and I know he knows I think he spends too much on estate sales and it all balances out much more happily without actual numbers being seen by either side :)
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Henry Kiichli » September 29th, 2014, 7:36 am

Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:Also, I've always thought Constellation's "Project Genome" was a rather dark and disturbing exercise.

5 out of 6 wine drinkers are women [wow.gif]
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Mark B

#56 Post by Mark B » September 29th, 2014, 7:40 am

Henry Kiichli wrote:

5 out of 6 wine drinkers are women [wow.gif]
At least the ones who shop at the supermarket are. Also, the only "image seekers" are young black males.

[snort.gif] [snort.gif]
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Ian Sutton

#57 Post by Ian Sutton » September 29th, 2014, 1:42 pm

I think they missed "rampant alcoholic" though I suppose they might be deemed 'enthusiasts'

FWIW I see market segmentation such as this to be a lazy generalisation aimed at simple people (i.e. brand managers)
Normal for Norfolk

Scott G r u n e r

#58 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 29th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Why is the dark side always the bad side? Just for once I want the villain to wear the white hat.
//Cynic

Mark B

#59 Post by Mark B » September 29th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:Why is the dark side always the bad side?
Because Star Wars said so.

[snort.gif]

M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#60 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » September 29th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:The idea that we are somehow above and removed from "lesser" wine, beer, or spirit drinkers.
If people really think this I feel sorry for them.

A Yambor
Contributor
Contributor

#61 Post by A Yambor » September 29th, 2014, 4:26 pm

When wine becomes a commodity/investment vehicle rather than an interesting beverage to enhance a meal & experience.
Anthony Yambor
ITB

Mark B

#62 Post by Mark B » September 29th, 2014, 4:34 pm

M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:
Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:The idea that we are somehow above and removed from "lesser" wine, beer, or spirit drinkers.
Have you ever felt as those you were being talked down to by another wine drinker? I've gotten this vibe on numerous occasions at various in-store tastings where non-store ITBs come in to pour. I've also had a seemingly nice owner of a small shop (who I bought wines at full retail from) outright refuse to show me some vintage Krug and Lafite he had for sale in his store. I think a fair number of these people assume that the younger crowd is more into the alcohol than the wine itself. Also, I believe ITB folks tend to place less emphasis on younger shoppers because they assume they have far less money to spend on their wine. Regardless, I still believe the vast majority of wine lovers and ITB folks are truly wonderful people.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by RyanC » September 29th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:
Have you ever felt as those you were being talked down to by another wine drinker? I've gotten this vibe on numerous occasions at various in-store tastings where non-store ITBs come in to pour. I've also had a seemingly nice owner of a small shop (who I bought wines at full retail from) outright refuse to show me some vintage Krug and Lafite he had for sale in his store. I think a fair number of these people assume that the younger crowd is more into the alcohol than the wine itself. Also, I believe ITB folks tend to place less emphasis on younger shoppers because they assume they have far less money to spend on their wine. Regardless, I still believe the vast majority of wine lovers and ITB folks are truly wonderful people.
There are *sshole presumptuous snobs in every hobby and profession and walk of life. That is not a "dark side of wine"; that's a dark side of humanity.
C@ughey

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#64 Post by c fu » September 29th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:
At least he talks to you, as I always say, as a youngish Chinese guy, no one even looks at me at a wine shop.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Alan Rath » September 29th, 2014, 5:19 pm

C Fu wrote:At least he talks to you, as I always say, as a youngish Chinese guy, no one even looks at me at a wine shop.
You need to move up here. Last time we were up at Ridge, I'd guess that 1/3 of the attendees were Asian. I'm pretty sure retailers pay attention to younger Chinese guys around here, if they don't they're losing a lot or money.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by PeterH » September 29th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Did anyone mention the extremely short supply of great wine compared to the number of people who would like to drink it? That can lead to a chronic sense of dissatisfaction verging on despair.

Of course, alcohol abuse, drunk driving, and overspending rank miles higher, and eventually every wine lover discovers that there is greatness in unexpected places.

P Hickner
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Mark B

#67 Post by Mark B » September 29th, 2014, 5:31 pm

C Fu wrote: At least he talks to you, as I always say, as a youngish Chinese guy, no one even looks at me at a wine shop.
Man, that's rough. You should walk in next time while drinking an open bottle of DRC. That might grab someone's attention.

;)
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Joel W

#68 Post by Joel W » September 29th, 2014, 5:38 pm

As much as I hate snobbery and douchebaggery in wine...

Alcoholism is really the dark(est) side of wine. I've known a couple of alchys whose choice was wine. Like others have said, I've seen it at wine groups as well.

Terrible sad stuff.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by David Glasser » September 29th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Elitism/snobbery isn't the darkest side of wine. Not even close. That's just boorish immature behavior. Alcoholism, as mentioned by several above, gets my vote for the darkest side of wine.

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » September 29th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Joe B wrote:
rachel mcdonald wrote:After we got married and got a joint account and she could see exactly how much and, well, you know what happened then....
Why on earth would you get a joint account.Ill not make that mistake if i ever get married again.
Yes, this sounds like an accounting issue. You need more accounts. A personal wine account at minimum.

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#71 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » September 29th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Mark J. Boldizsar wrote:
This is not a wine specific issue. This happens across all luxury products - watches, cars, jewelry, art etc.

Thomas K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Thomas K. » September 29th, 2014, 10:50 pm

Rick.T wrote:
C Fu wrote:Oh well, life is too short to worry about the small things.
T. K r @ m 3 r

Rick.T

#73 Post by Rick.T » September 29th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Thomas K. wrote:
Rick.T wrote:
C Fu wrote:Oh well, life is too short to worry about the small things.
Good one, its been many years since I watched that movie. I need to see if it's on NetFlix.
T~@~n**d~y

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Henry Kiichli » September 29th, 2014, 11:16 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

dteng

#75 Post by dteng » September 29th, 2014, 11:39 pm

jbray23 wrote: I think the biggest mistake that couples make is mixing finances, it's good to be informed about where your partners fiances are, know bills, ect, but when you spend that $10 extra on something frivolous no one needs to know.
That's the darkest side of wine - not spending enough on wine! WTF. [smileyvault-ban.gif] [training.gif]
Dan

Return to “Wine Talk”