09' Marcassin PN Marcassin Vineyard- Birthday bottle (question)

Gonna open this bad boy on Saturday night for my birthday at my favorite restaurant.

I recently made the list a couple years ago, so my vintages don’t go back very far but excited to try this.

Heres the question: Am I doing the wine a disservice by doing a Pop and Pour at a 2-3 hour dinner and seeing the wine evolve, or should I give it a longer decant (suggestions welcome) at home first then bring with me?

Eric,
I can’t give you any info on this particular wine, but more and more I’m finding that almost every young wine I drink benefits from substantial air time. I wouldn’t hesitate to double decant at home well before your dinner. Be aware that some restaurants (rarely, but it happens) have refused to allow bottles in that have already been opened. I’d make sure to push the cork all the way back in, to make it look like the bottle is still unopened.

:astonished:

Please report back on the wine and what you end up doing beforehand. I am in the same boat with the same vintage and my own birthday coming up.

I’ve never decanted these PNs nor opened them more that an hr before being served. Love their evolution, and they are never closed or show any sign of reduction.

I think you’ll be happy either way but if I was planning to open a 09 Marcassin PN for dinner I would open in the morning and taste, decide what to do from there.

Pop, 30 minutes of decant, pace yourself and you’ll be good IMO.

Honestly, I’d wait a couple of more years before opening it.

I have more so it won’t be my first and last, but I do agree it is young. I do have some hesitation about opening up a bottle so young, but it’s also nice to drink one early and re-visit in a few years as well to see the evolution. That said, there is a chance I do an audible and switch it out last minute. We shall see.

Eric, honestly, why be shy about popping it? I wouldn’t say '09 created the most structured wines in CA. If it is what you have, I’d say try it. It won’t be disappointing. I did the same with my first vintage.

just had it two weeks ago…it was pop and pour at the restaurant and was drinking better towards the end of the evening. i would pop the bottle few hours prior and give it a test run…it was fun how this wine evolves over the course of the night.

I think I’m just gonna pop and pour. It’s gonna be a 2-3 hour dinner so I’m anxious to see the evolution. I think one of the most exciting things about wine is seeing how it evolves throughout the night.

To help with air, I’ll probably bring along my Vinturi.

TN to follow

Just opened. 3 hours prior to dinner. WOW! Just took a little sip to see where this youngster is starting, but I can’t wait to see where it goes.

Happy drinking and Birthday.

Thank you kind Sir.