Anyone buying Tor today ?

The new releases look very tempting even at $150, seems almost a bargin for wine they say " looks out over SE "

Any thoughts ? ive nebver had Tor but recently bought the 2013 Ridge MB to start off a high end cab collection even if its only 6 bottles every few months its still a substantial investment

TOR is one of my favorite Napa cabs. I don’t think you can go wrong with the 2012s if you can get past the price.

What do you mean by “collection” and “substantial investment”?

Im being serious. For me I have a collection with every intention of pissing it all away, literally.

Not cheap, but under rated IMHO. Jeff is doing a phenomenal job here. I’m not sure why Tor doesn’t get more love. These compete at or above their price. The Rock line up is not to be missed either.

Not on the list but have grabbed every bottle of 05 and 09 BTK Clone 6 i could find. They are excellent 95+ wines. Jeff does a great job and i would like to try some of the other wines but will pick them up via retail channels.

Joe

You are right, sorry

Alan

Alan, I am not trying to be right. Just want to know your ideas on what is a collection and an investment. Investment as in for future personal consumption using todays dollars or did you expect to trade or sell these ten or more years down the road, etc.

i sent in for a mixed case. They have consistently high quality wines, albeit at a high price but comparable to other higher end Napa wines

I am buying for a collection to drink down the road, its an investment in my pleasure not financial

What wines are in the offering ?

With the proviso that it’s been four or five years since I tasted TOR [and there may have been winemaking changes since then?], these are massive wines with huge fruit. Entire forests of oak trees were sacrificed to the cooperage for the barrels which these wine aged in, and alcohol-wise, a single glass of a TOR red will make you happy and giggly and tipsy for the rest of the evening.

So if you’re looking for a Toyota Prius “Grandma Car” of a wine, then TOR is not for you - these wines are Dodge Vipers @ 640HP cruising down the freeway with the state highway patrol pulling you over for a $500 reckless driving ticket.

At least back when I tasted them.

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Cimarossa, 750ml
Price: $125.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Tierra Roja Vineyard, 750ml
Price: $150.00

2012 TOR Red Wine, Beckstoffer To Kalon, 750ml

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 750ml
Price: $80.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 375ml
Price: $44.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1.5L
Price: $170.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Beckstoffer To Kalon, 750ml

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Beckstoffer To Kalon, 1.5L
Price: $350.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Beckstoffer To Kalon, Etched 3L in custom wood box
Complimentary shipping.
Price: $1,200.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon, Beckstoffer To Kalon, 3-Bottle Wood Box Collection
Complimentary shipping.
Price: $550.00

2012 TOR Cabernet Sauvignon Selection, 3-Bottle Wood Box Collection
1 bottle each of Tierra Roja, Cimarossa & Napa Valley Cabernets
Complimentary shipping.
Price: $450.00

Nathan

Your info sounds great, i think Saxum Zin is a rose !!!

My issue though is you mention oak, i have a passionate hate for wines that taste like floorboards. Oak is something the Amish make chunky solid furntiture out of not something we drink. I love fruit, love big, love tannins even but you can keep the oak

Should i pass ?

Funny. I keep clicking this thread due to misreading the title.

I read “Anyone buying FOR today?” (i.e. buying strictly for near term consumption vs. cellaring) and was curious to see the thoughts and where the question was going.

My guess [which is at least as likely to be wrong as it is to be right] is that TOR might be one of the very few wines with enough stuffing to be able to absorb the oak.

But it’s just a guess, and the winemaking might have changed since the last time I got the chance to try TOR.

Alan-just recently had the 09 and i thought it does a great job handlng the oak. I’m not a big fan of over oaked wines and while these were full bodied and plenty of fruit they did not come off as over oaked.

Which 2009 did you have? I am sitting on a bottle of either Clone 4 or Clone 6 and was wondering when I should open it.

Alan, this is world class Napa cab and integrates the oak very well. If I had unlimited funds, I’d pick up 2-3 cases of the 2012s, and 2013s next year. I would take a shot - bet you won’t be disappointed.

I am really tempted, I just cant pull the trigger especially with such a heavy outlay right at this moment for Pisoni, Denner & Booker. The only would be to ditch Booker and I am not sure I want to do that

Which is why i went bigger on Realm today and hopefully on their next release for beckstoffer to kalon.

Im not on Tor list and never had it.