Poll: Place your bets. It's the $2 red wine challenge.

Who will win the $2 red wine challenge?

• '01 B&G Beaujolais-Villages
  • '04 Napa Ridge Coastal Vinesâ„¢ Lodi Merlot
  • '03 Mad Housewife California Merlot
  • '02 Turning Leaf Coastal Reserve North Coast Merlot
  • '02 Evans & Tate Gnangara Western Australia Cabernet Sauvignon

0 voters

A few days ago, I reviewed a $3 Riesling. Now, I know most people on Wineberserkers have no problem throwing that kind of cash around, but truth be told, it has been burning a huge hole in my wallet. Thus, I decided to pick up 5 bottles of $2 wine to see which budget wine will reign supreme. Place your bets now, as results will be streaming live within the hour.
:wink:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Marky–there is something wrong with you dude.
We GOTTA hang out! [cheers.gif]

Until I know the storage conditions, I can not participate in your poll… :wink:

C’mon people, get those votes in! I’m tasting through the wines as we speak.
image.jpg

I vote for the starbucks cup on the left side of the shelf

Gangara has to win

It appears that those 5 bottles cost $1.75 each, not $2. This whole contest is based on a lie! [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Well…

In last place: '03 Mad Housewife California Merlot. The nose is rancid olives and stinky feet. Smelling this in and of itself could legally be considered torture. The palate is like drinking dirt and rotting vegetables. Good Lord.
50 pts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

They will show better if you don’t drink them in the bathroom [wink.gif]

In 4th place: '04 Napa Ridge Coastal Vines Lodi Merlot. Jesus, this doesn’t smell anything like Merlot, like, not even in the same ballpark. The nose is a frankenwine mixture of oak chips, cocoa powder, and some decaying vegetables. There’s also some blueberry goop coming through on the nose; The kind that has been baking for days in the hot summer sun. The palate is an onslaught of toasted oak, artificial vanilla, and stewed berry jam. The wine somehow pulls a 360 mid palate and finishes green, mean, and dirty. I can’t bring myself to swallow any of this wine; It really is that appalling. 58 pts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The back label descriptions should be a contest of their own !

In 3rd place: '01 B&G Beaujolais-Villages. The nose is hints of lavender with meat spice, and raisins. The wine enters the palate with a few dusty cherries and quickly turns to rancid meat, dry leather, and metallic rust.
60 pts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The suspense is killing me.

That was my vote too. I figured the wine would be bigger and could probably use some time to sleep.

In 2nd place: '02 Turning Leaf Coastal Reserve North Coast Merlot. The nose is quite muted here. From what I can piece together, I get some mocha, clumsy oak, and maybe a slice of bell pepper. This is almost a more restrained version of the Napa Ridge. Surprisingly, this manages to remain semi-palatable. If annoying in-laws are in your future, don’t hesitate to serve this to them.
67 pts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

You need a friend. Go buy a puppy or a turtle.

In 1st place: '02 Evan & Tate Gnangara Western Australia Cabernet Sauvignon. This has the least offensive nose by a mile. It’s dusty, and manufactured, but you can still tell the winemaker wasn’t trying to be a mad scientist here. The nose shows nondescript greeness and stinky feet. The palate proves to be somewhat over-extracted, yet manages to show some moderately enjoyable black plums. 71 pts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

So, what did I win, other than the privilege of getting the results without having to taste the wine?

P Hickner

All these wines, upon release were around $10. And are the reason why I never liked wine in my youth. These are what was placed on most Americans tables. This was intro 101 to wine consumption. They werent good when first bottled and are certainly no better now.