Another list recommendation.

I attended Sonoma Wine Country Weekend over the Labor Day weekend and had the pleasure, and fortune, to meet Jake Bilbro of Limerick lane. On Friday evening Coppola Winery hosted a tasting with, apps, dinner and dancing. Jake was pouring an estate Syrah Grenache blend that really stuck with me. It started with a great savory aroma and finished with wonderful fruit acid and tannin. This being my first opportunity to taste any of his wines I wrote my name down on the mailing list sign-up sheet. While I was writing he said “I know you, from Wine Berserkers”. He invited me to stop by his table on Saturday at Taste of Sonoma where he said he would be pouring his entire lineup.

Well, Saturday came and we made sure to hit his table while in the RRV tent. He poured:
2013 Rosé of Grenache - light, bright, refreshing
2011 Grenache/Syrah - dark structured and layered
2011 RRV Zinfandel - solid
2011 Rocky Knoll Zinfandel - earthiness from the Mourvèdre, unique
2011 1910 Old Vines Zinfandel - Wow
2011 “Hail Mary” Syrah - Killer

Across the board they were all very enjoyable wines with a few wows. The Rocky Knoll is interplanted with Mourvèdre and it really enhances the Zinfandel nicely. Especially aromatically. The 1910 was like rolling up in front of a fire on a rainy day with a blanket and a good book. Soft and soothing. The Hail Mary, named due to the crusher breaking down and not having any fermentation tanks available, was whole cluster fermented for two weeks in open top tanks with tarps over the top. Just a killer Syrah, great acidity, richness and chalkiness.

I was bowled over by these wines and am looking forward to purchasing some in the near future. My only hesitation is price which is a tad high for my budget but Jake said it is due to having to sell through 3-Tier as they do not have enough regular customers to sell through to their mailing list.

You mission, if you choose to accept it, is to get on their mailing list and help them sell through direct. Being able to do that will allow them to lower their retail prices and make these great wines even more affordable. Let’s Wine Berserker these guys. [berserker.gif]

Big thanks to Jake for giving me the VIP treatment on a nasty hot day under the tent. [thankyou.gif]

Signed up a couple weeks ago, offering coming soon.

Brian, did I mention the part where you have to support me when I’m old and have no money left?! [tease.gif]

At the rate I’m going you picked the wrong guy unless you like water and crackers. blush

If the 2011 LL 1910 is anything like the 2009, I am there. I’ve had other vintages from the old Collin Vineyard vines and really enjoyed them. I know the winery went through an ownership change a while back and it looks like quality is up.

I recently stopped by the winery for a tasting and was very impressed. Thanks Brian for the rec…4 years later.

I’ve been meaning to get up there to see the LL wines, almost took a flyer at Bottle Barn the other day, but would rather taste first. Thanks for the rec Brian!

Well Matt, if someone had rec’d them 4 years ago maybe they would be mailing list only by now. newhere neener

Hi Brian,
Such kind words. Thank you so much! I am truly humbled.

In response to Brian’s recommendation, this is a formal invitation to any and all berserkers. We would love to see you and show you a little more of what we are doing. We have a very small tasting room and are not open 7 days a week so if you’re considering a visit, please call in advance and mention your “berserker status” so that we can be sure to pull out all the stops for you.

(707)433-9211

Jake Bilbro
Limerick Lane Cellars/Marietta Cellars