TN: 2007 Copain Pinot Noir Baker Ranch (USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley)

2007 Copain Pinot Noir Baker Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (9/16/2009)
Medium bodied, medium dark garnet in color, lightly transparent. The whole cluster is apparent on the nose, though not overwhelming; flavors are fairly dark and bold, with a richness and concentration almost unexpected from the wine’s body. Nicely complex, with a bit of spice, good balance of cleansing acidity on the finish. Personally, I would prefer a bit lower percentage of stems, but this is a beautiful wine, which will probably integrate and develop for quite a few years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I agree – a beautiful wine. I quickly blew through the three-pack I received on release and went back for 6 more with the intention of keeping at least some of those around for a few years. In any event, I agree with your note and recall a lot of white pepper and a hint of bacon fat in the flavor profile. As I recall, the release price was $35, which is very fair for a wine of this quality.

Thanks for the note. I had this at a tasting at the winery, and purchased two bottles. Wish I would have bought a few more, since they’re now sold out. Nice floral Anderson Valley-style aromatics.

Brad–bacon? Were you thinking of the syrah? I’d like to try it–Jennifer at the winery claims it’s tasty right now.

i won’t peek @ my bottles until summer 2011.

Yes. A subtle element, not a major factor like the white pepper.

You say they are sold out now? I was able to reload as late as July, but those bottles won’t ship until later on.

EDIT: Duh! I should read before I type, especially early in the morning.

Well, there was both a 2007 Baker Syrah and a Pinot, and they were both $35… Haven’t touched either of them yet - 2011 sounds right for the Pinot, maybe a little early for the Syrah.

Just found one of these and uncorked it, continues a string of great domestic 07 PN including Lynmar Jenkins and W-S RRV. This was all deep plum and delicious.

Glenn, you dug this up from the depths. Nice. The 2007 Copain PNs are hanging in there. I had thought the En Bas was dead, but it continues to go, as does the En Haut. The ripeness of the vintage does show through, yet the wines have not fallen out of balance. There are some 07 Kisers on Winebid still that are a steal. Hell, where can you get wines made so well, aged over a decade, for $30? I know there are some fees tacked on but these wines are a cool lens into what Wells was doing a decade ago.

Hell we paid what, $60/btl for En Haut & En Bas back in the day? Look for notes on this two these next few months.

“Bacon” notes can come from cooperage, certainly not strange for Pinot.

I bagged 4 2007 En Bas just last week for $25ea. Gotta love it.

Rat, open one of those soon and post a TN. I’d be curious as to what you find. I’m tempted but I’ve been good about not hitting the bid button. I have not bought anything from Winebid in about 18 months.

Please. Yes, those were in that price range, Doc.

You know what is also worth a try, and I have a few so I am not biting, but the 2012 En Haut for $30 on Winebid, that’s a sweet price. Wells did a really strong job IMO with the 2012 Kisers–Haut, Bas and Gres. That vintage to me is one of the finer, more old world styled wines intrepretations he had done off that property.

I am a big fan of AV pinots and Javeb found many of the 2007 wines to have that excessive cherry liqueur and alcoholic heat signature. This was from places that normally were pretty restrained. Glad to hear someone was able to handle it more gently than most!

Funny, the last WineBid purchase I made was The 2010 Brosseau Syrah last March. Once I pick them up I’ll pop one and get a note up.