Lillian on Deck

2011 Syrah along with two new wines - 2011 Gold Series Syrah No 1 as well as a Cab. Not sure how much more damage my credit card can sustain!

I know nothing about either new release, anyone have insight/tasting notes? Do these replace the blue label?

I noticed that there was no Blue Label for 2010. I don’t know anything about the wines. Though if you google them, the Gold Series seems to be coming at the Blue Label price range of $100. The Cabernet is going to be retailing for $200. Yikes!

That’s gonna be an easy pass at those prices

I have thoroughly enjoyed the 3 Lillian syrahs I’ve opened so far, and I’ve been trying to not open any more so that I can taste them with some age. I liked them enough that I just bought a case of 2009 syrah at retail for about 80% of the current asking price.

I am quite curious about the blue/gold bottlings. I own 4 blues, but have never drank one. At this point, at this price, I feel I have enough of a very expensive wine that I’ve never tried, with an unproven aging history.

As for the cabernet, if $200 is the correct price, I will have to do the same as the $75 rose and Roussanne, which is pass.

It has been awhile, but I think the Lillian Cabernet is from the True Vineyard on Howell Mountain. I’m very interested to try it.

I’ve heard the regular Syrah will be offered at $95. It was $75 last year IIRC.

Tom

Thanks Will-love the True Vineyard cabs usually, curious is the pricing is really that high. Anyhow, love Maggie’s work on the syrahs…anyone have tasting notes on the 2011s?

I’m with you, Joe.
200 bones for the Cab is outside my comfort zone right now.
I will buy Syrah

Not to judge on the quality of the Lillian Syrah or Cab, but is there any winery anywhere else releasing wines of this price with transported fruit ( of this distance )?

Have always been a big fan of Lillian, in since the first vintage. Wines are great, and Maggie’s customer service is world-class.

That said, I passed on the Rose last time around at what for me was an eye-popping price, and would certainly do the same with the first vintage of Cab if it comes at $200.

Hard to believe that the “regular” syrah would take a 30% (give or take) bump to $95 if the Gold label, or whatever it’s called this time around, is coming in at around $100.

I’ll wait to see the offer. At the rumored prices, it would be problematic. But if the reg / premium syrahs come in at prices not significantly different than last year, I’ll be in for a few of each.

I have been buying a 3 pack for the last five years, $75 was a stretch last year. I now buy terrific OR Pinots for half that, and daily drinkers in the $20+ range. I am tired of buying expensive wines that languish in the cellar. [snort.gif]

$200 cab is a really hard sell to me, even as much as I like Maggie’s wines.
Do we know what is different about the gold vs the blue on the Syrah.

I’m in lockstep with you Jim. Great wine and great people but if pricing changes are true I will make due with what is in the cellar.

I remember hearing the same thing.

I tasted the Cab from the barrel and thought it showed great promise. $200 is a bit of a shock.

Own some syrahs and would love to try the cab but dayam… $200/btl? for real? where is this? Bordeaux?
:wink:

Drinking an 2008 regular label tonight. Superb after a 4 hour decant. A feminine Saxum. Price has become a concern when compared to others available. Sign of the times I suppose.

Very Interesting. I’d like to try too. I’ll buy if it comes in at Outpost’s price - if higher, then no.

Also interested in what the new Syrah designation is, and what became of the blue. I suppose all answers will come soon enough.

Guess we will find out tomorrow