New (to me) AFWE blog

I enjoyed this quite a bit - up there w/ Cellar Book. http://gargantuanwine.com/

I’ve been reading it since the start - the author is active in Facebook wine groups. Really enjoying his writing so far.

Rock star! Thanks for the tip…

Thanks for the tip!

Excellent well-written and researched blog entry. My only fault would be his excitement in pouring out the wine considering it was unspoiled. If it were corked or tainted, that would be understandable. But just not liking it is not a good reason to send it down the drain. It is a waste of food/drink.

Either give it to somebody who will drink it, use it in Sangria, make a dessert out of it, make some soup stock with it, turn it into vinegar or cook a main course with it. There are many uses you can put a perfectly good wine you don’t care for to.

Good read, thanks.

Tran, what if you are OFFENDED by what that wine has become compared to what made it’s reputation?

Super; thanks!

@Roberto: I definitely get the sense from reading that the author was already inclined to pour it down the drain before it was even opened. This being the case, why not just regift it? Of course, that wouldn’t allow him to write about it, so why not invite other people to partake of it along with what looks like a great homemade meal of duck maigret? Maybe they might like it.

It was certainly his right to do as he saw fit with it. It’s his wine, after all. I just think it’s a little bit of a food waste is all given that he points out the only reason for having done so was his dislike for big wines in general and this producer in particular.

who is the author?

Other than being too young, that could be Lou Amdour…

The part of this about the solo diner is HILARIOUS:

Wow. I liked the Napa piece, but hated this Ma cuisine piece. If the lone DRC drinker had been a paunchy well-heeled male rather than a young, attractive, well-heeled female, would it even have been cause for notice, let alone the centerpiece of his article? Would the questions “Who dines alone and drinks DRC RSV? How much did she just spend?!” even arise if the diner had been an older male? I thought most of that part of the article was just gratuitous and annoying.

Katrina, the hilarious part is that is is about the AUTHOR’s reactions to the situation, telling you more about them than the actual situation…

What about not liking it, and using the gesture to impute status to the taster, much as luxury brand associations are meant to do so for the wine?

Seems to me, the dramatically disdainful drain pour seems to have become an integral part of the contemporary wine snob’s vocabulary.

Was it Fu who used to have an avatar of him pouring Screagle down the drain?

Maybe it’s a gender thing, I didn’t find it gratuitous at all, just an observation he chose to write about. And yes, I think he would have written about it if the person had been a paunchy male as well [cheers.gif]

Looking at it that way, I agree 100% :slight_smile:

I’m with Alan on this, the Ma/DRC article was quite enjoyable. The only thing I found gratuitous and annoying was criticism of the article simply because it happened to feature a woman.

When I have noticed a lone diner drinking a bottle of Haut Brion or SQN, I couldn’t help but wonder about their story either.

The Ma Cuisine piece reminds me of the incredibly disappointing time I walked in as a lone diner (no advance reservation of course), hoping to be awarded a seat in this fabled eatery. I would have been a lone male, perhaps the focus of a blogger contemplating each of my odd mannerisms. Maybe next time… :frowning: