TN: 2012 Ceritas Costalina

While I’ve only been purchasing from the list for 3 years, I’ve a smattering of the Ceritas Pinots back to the 2007 vintage. This is the finest young Ceritas Pinot I’ve had, and this is drinking superbly right now in spite of its obvious youth. There is plenty of crunchy, tart red fruit, but there is also a plush richness to the mouthfeel that I associate with wines that have seen more time. The nose is exotic and expressive now; with tea and earth, but without any confected or cloying sweet notes. There is round, juicy middle and loads of length, all in a 13.1% abv package. The wine is deceivingly full-bodied and yet fresh. In short, this juvenile is a stunner and one to drink while you let the Escarpa, etc. age. I don’t mean to suggest that this won’t improve, but it is a fine drink today. I love the Ceritas Chards, and I tend to think that is why I am so enamored of the producer, until I remind myself with the less frequent cracking of a Pinot that they are just nailing these as well.

Sean,

I Haven’t opened a '12 yet, but I killed a youthful '11 Costalina a up year ago. Your TN rings true. Here were my impressions:

“Uh-oh, when you’re typing the first TN on CT, you probably opened a bottle that was too young. And this was too young, but still interesting, enjoyable, and not terribly backward. Energetic red fruit, mostly sour and sweet cherries. Dense earthy, minerally and especially meaty iron notes. Since this wasn’t a vineyard designate, I assumed it would drink like a simple “second” wine. I once again underestimated another Ceritas. So far, to my palate, Phoebe and John can do no wrong.”

Cheers,
Warren

All their 2012 PN seems to be terrific,based on the comments in CT. The Hellenthal I tasted earlier this year was super.