Opened the wrong bottle of Saxum

Yesterday for a special occasion and due to the current release of Saxum I decided to open the 2011 Paderewski. I hadn’t had it yet and to decide if its a wine in the future I would purchase again. Also seemed like the best options of the Saxum that I have. Well I opened it yesterday morning, left it out on the counter and poured into the decanter when I got home in the afternoon. A few minutes later I’m looking thru one my coolers when I found another bottle of the Paderewski. Strange didn’t remember ordering two of those so I walk over to look at the bottle and crap I had opened the 2011 Booker…bummer what a waste. So this was the first time I had opened the wrong bottle of wine. How about you??

Accidentally drank my only bottle of 2011 Kutch Savoy when I thought I was opening up a Sonoma Coast. Those bottles look damn similar and Jamie unfortunately doesn’t make that wine anymore [cry.gif]

Rivers Marie Summa when I wanted Sonoma Coast.

Those Paderewski labels though are pretty distinctive!

I uncorked a Luis Pato old vines red for guests when I meant to serve the white. Oops.

Reminds me, too, of a brown bag group of mine where someone was laughing at how far off base our guesses were about the identity of his wine. When he unveiled it, it turned out he’d grabbed and served someone else’s bottle… and hadn’t noticed that it didn’t taste anything like his wine should have.

At least you guys picked wines from the same producers and vintage!

I did the same. The worse thing about it was that I only got about two ounces since I opened it for a tasting group we had over to the house.

I did the same thing a week and a half ago. Ah well, my girlfriend loved it.

Apparently opened a 2011 Myriad Dr. Crane instead of a Napa at some point. One missing Crane and one extra Napa. Remember that the last Napa I drank had put on considerable weight…

Recently opened a mag of Maybach 08. I don’t remember what it should’ve been… probably Yellow Tail or Bourbon at that point.

Henschke Mt Edelstone. Knew it was the wrong bottle when I saw the glass stopper.

Mine was a 2010 RM Summa OV when I wanted to open the 2010 Sonoma Coast. I was explaining the wine to a group of people who had come over and I noticed about 1/2 hr later it was the OV. As expected, the group was enamored with the $25 OV—haha.

Too bad, the 2011 Booker is spectacular now.

Opened 6 hours before dinner it really took off halfway thru the meal and I have to say it was one of my favorite Saxum wine experiences. We had it with prime tri-tip and the bacon in the wine just made the meal. The luxurious mouthfeel of both the meat and the wine, simply superb.

2/3rds Syrah, the rest Mourvèdre in 2011. If you own this wine give it a go with a good amount of air to get righteous.

I accidentally opened a 2016 Myriad Steltzner Cab instead of the 2016 Napa Valley bottling. Oh well, it was for a birthday party, and I didn’t check the bottle very closely until it was already in the decanter…

Delicious wine, and one that I would have waited on a year or two, but a good lesson in sometimes opening a good bottle sooner than later.

At Wild Ginger years ago, a sommelier was a bit annoyed and so I asked why…a server had opened a 1998 Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin instead of 1998 Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape for a table.

$400-500 difference in wine list cost, and those slots in the cellar moved to opposite sides after that.

Another bad one is reaching for a bourgogne rouge of a given producer, and finding that you’ve grabbed and opened the RSV instead–and that it’s definitely not ready. In my own cellar, I don’t store all of a producer’s wines in one place. the bourgognes and other grab and pour wines are in a different location in the cellar, so there is no confusion (on my part, or any one else’s who happens to be accessing the cellar–which means my wife and adult children.)

I did also once open a Sancere part way thru a seafood dinner party on the patio only to find upon pouring it that it was red.

I had that happen once too, opened a chinon instead of a Sancerre, I’d put it in the fridge too so it was super cold :rage: