How many different forms of a toast do you know? Here`s a list.

After seeing Mike Dildine use the word skal in a recent post, I looked up on Wikipedia and found:

In many cultures, toasting is common and to not do so may be a breach of etiquette. The general theme of the common brief toast is “good luck” or “good health.” At formal meals in certain countries of the Commonwealth of Nations, the first toast to be proposed is traditionally the Loyal Toast (“The Queen”). This may be adapted in other countries to give a loyal toast to the appropriate Head of State.

Albanian: “Gëzuar” (enjoy)
Amharic language (Ethiopia): “Le’tenachin!” (To our health)
Arabic: “بصحتك” (be ṣaḥtak, for your health)
Australian English: Cheers mate! (to your happiness my friend)
Basque: “Topa!” (toast)
Belarusian: “Будзьма!” (budzma, may we live!)
Bosnian: “Nazdravlje” (for health) or “Živjeli” (live!)
Bulgarian: “Наздраве” (nazdrave, to health)
Catalan: “Xinxin” (onomatopoeic for clinking of glasses)[citation needed] or “Salut” (health)
Chinese, Mandarin: “干杯” (gānbēi, lit. “Empty cup”, similar to “bottoms up” in English)
Croatian: “Živjeli” (live!)
Czech: “Na zdraví” (to health)
Danish: “Skål” (lit. bowl - refers to older drinking vessels)
Dutch: “Proost” (from Latin prosit - may it be good (i.e., for you)), or “(op je) gezondheid” ((to your) health); in Belgium: schol (from Scandinavian) or santé (from the French).
English: “Cheers”
Esperanto: “Je via sano!” (to your health)
Estonian: “Terviseks” (for the health)
Filipino: “Mabuhay” (to life)
Finnish: “Kippis”, or “Hölökyn kölökyn” (in Savonian dialects)
French: “Tchin Tchin” (onomatopoeic for clinking of glasses)[citation needed] or “Santé” (health) or “cul sec” (lit. “dry bottom”, to drink the whole glass in one go)
Galician: “Saude” (Good health)
Georgian: “გაუმარჯოს!” (Gaumarjos!) (Victory!)
German: “Prost”, “Prosit” - from Latin prosit (may it be good (i.e., for you)) or “Zum Wohl” (to health)
Greek: “Εις υγείαν” (ees eegiyan), “στην υγειά σου/μας”, “γειά” (for health) or “Εβίβα” (eviva, from Italian evviva, “long life!”)
Hebrew: “לחיים” (“L’Chayyim”) (to life, traditional Jewish toast)
Hungarian: “Egészségünkre” (for our health), more commonly “Egészségedre” (ɛgeːʃːeːgɛdrɛ)(To your health!!) “Fenékig” (lit. “To the bottom”, similar to “bottoms up” in English)
Icelandic: “Skál” (lit. bowl - refers to older drinking vessels)
Irish: “Sláinte” (health)
Italian: “Cin Cin” (onomatopoeic for clinking of glasses)[citation needed] or “Salute” (health)
Japanese: “乾杯” (kanpai, lit. “Dry the glass”, similar to “bottoms up” in English)
Korean: “건배” (gunbae, lit. “Empty cup”, similar to “bottoms up” in English)
Latvian: “Priekā” (to joy)
Lithuanian: “Į sveikatą” (to health)
Macedonian: “На здравје” (na zdravje, to health)
Manx Gaelic: “Sláinte” (health)
Maori (NZ): “Mauri ora” (to life)
Marathi: “Chang Bhala” (may it be good)
Mexican Spanish: “Salud” (to health) or “Saludcita” (to health, diminutive)
New Hampshire: “Shläng” (Variant of Gaelic Sláinte)
Norwegian: “Skål” (lit. bowl - refers to older drinking vessels)
Persian: “نوش” (Nūsh, from Middle Persian anosh = “immortality”, or Persian verb nushidæn = “to drink”)
Polish: “Na zdrowie” (to health)
Portuguese: “Tchim-Tchim” (onomatopoeic for clinking of glasses)[citation needed] or “Saúde” (health)
Romanian: “Noroc” (good luck) or “Sănătate” (health)
Russian: “Ваше здоровье!” (Vashe zdorov’ye, for your health)
Scottish Gaelic: “Slàinte mhath” (good health)
Serbian: “Nazdravlje” (for health) or “Živeli” (live!)
Slovak: “Na zdravie” (to health)
Slovene: “Na zdravje” (to health)
Spanish/Castilian: “¡Chinchín!” (onomatopoeic for clinking of glasses)[33] or “¡Salud!” (health)
Swedish: “Skål” (lit. bowl - refers to older drinking vessels[34]); Gutår (good year) - old fashioned, still used in formal settings
Swiss German: “Proscht” (as in German “Prost”) or as diminutive form “Pröschtli”
Thai: “ชัยโย” (chai-yo!, lit. Hurrah!) or “ชนแก้ว” (chon-kaew, lit. Let us toast) or “หมดแก้ว” (mod-kaew, lit. Bottoms up)
Turkish: “Şerefe” (to honor)
Ukrainian: “На здоров’я” (“Na zdorovya”, to health) or “Будьмо” (“Budmo”, let us be!)
Vietnamese: “Yô” ((take) in)
Welsh: “iechyd Dda” (Good health)

Cheers,
Blake

Thanks for a fun read!

If you mistakenly think this is a toast to “the hymen,” it will be most embarrassing for you. Not that I would know.

Past the teeth and over the gums, look out stomach here it comes.

I think that’s mostly from Wisconsin.

And here I thought this was going to be a discussion of Parker’s use of ‘pain grille’ for toast aromas in wine.

This… with maybe a reference to toast points or Melba Toast.

Cool. Thanks for posting this.

To the wind that blows, to the ship that goes and to the lass that loved a sailor!

Ditto.

[cheers.gif]

They forgot some important ones.

As a Trekkie:

Qapla!!!

Also…

“Iwllj jachjaj.” (May your blood scream.)

“reH Hlvje’lljDaq 'lwghargh Datu’jaj.” (May you always find a
bloodworm in your glass.)

“QuvlljDaq yIH tu’be’lu’jaj.” (May your coordinates be free of
tribbles.)

“bISuvtaHvIS blHeghjaj.” (May you die in battle.)

“‘oy’ DaSIQjaj.” (May you endure the pain.)

pain grillé

Cheers Big Ears with the response “Same goes big nose” - New Zealand/Australian

FIFY.

Alas.

In addition to posting this here, I sent it out via email to some friends and have received back some very interesting toasts adding to the list and input from others here. I just got one that merits posting:
“My favorite, from Italian I’m told, is “Abodanza”. To beautiful, abundant, overflowing life!!!”

New Hampshire?

David, is this relative to a weather condition us left coasters do not know about?

No, Blake, just puzzled by this line on the list:

New Hampshire: “Shläng” (Variant of Gaelic Sláinte)

I was wondering if there was something about the population of New Hampshire us Marylanders don’t know about. [cheers.gif]

As regards the Philippine toast “Mabuhay”, it’s rarely used here - at least I almost never hear it used when offering a toast. Most often, “Cheers” is what I most frequently hear. Among the “mestizo mob” (i.e., those of apparent Spanish descent), “Salud” is most often used.

I’m reminded of my favorite wedding toast to the new couple:

“May all your pains be Champagnes. May all your ups and downs be in bed”