What Allocation System Do You Like Best?

My preference is what Carlisle does. Once your on the list you receive generous amounts of the entire portfolio. The one that drives me CRAZY is first come, first serve. There should be a minimum time period to buy your allocation. Not everyone has access to a computer when offers come out. I’ve not gotten bottles on lists I’ve been on for years because by the time I log in they are sold out.

Can the latter even be called an allocation system? It sounds more like a semi-limited mailing list approach.

Guaranteed allocations, allocation window, no one-bottle offering. That’s about all I ask/hope for.

I prefer getting options to buy what I want, with a set time frame available. At the same time, I understand how this could lead to not selling all the wine available in the first round, since you have to reserve a certain amount of inventory, and not everybody will buy. The first come, first served until sold out models are ones I don’t want any part of, to be honest. I agree with Andrew that this model is basically an accelerated (by demand) mailing list system, and gives no preference to those who have purchased in the past.

First come, first served.

I like set allocations with a time frame to purchase. Wish list items should then be first come first served. I always order what I want within 24 hours of my email.

You snooze, you loose.

+1 We are all way more connected to the internet then we used to be. I did my Carlisle release while pumping gas.

What if your in a meeting? What if your in a area with no wi-FI? Too many what ifs. Allocations should at least be guaranteed for a minimum amount of time, even if it’s only 24 hours.

I realize I didn’t answer the question, and I agree with John on this - however the wine is allocated among customers I think the best system gives those people receiving an allocation a reasonable time window to buy, then opening it up to others (whether extended list, wait list, wish list) after that time.

Set allocation for a period of time. Since I buy regularly from certain places, I’d like to know they want to retain their regular clients. Not all of us can be at a computer waiting for the clock to strike the right time Central Standard Time.

I’ve wondered if the “first come/first served” basis adds to the demand…creating an urgency.

The kind where I can buy as little or as much as I want without having it affect future purchases. Kind of like a store.

Aside from that, some kind of guaranteed allocation is appreciated. Like you said, getting shut out of a wine within a few hours of getting the offer is lame.

Rhys.

How does their allocation system work? I am not on their list and have no idea how it operates.

I like it when you get a notice well in advance of when the offering is coming out.

Hybrid.
Primary allocation is guaranteed for a set period of time (say a week), with the ability to wish list any bottle (including those not allocated to you).
The wish list would be first come, first serve for the remaining allocated bottles which were not purchased.

This would allow established list members to maintain a large allocation and purchase what they wanted (including bottles not allocated to new members). However, new members would still have a chance to purchase the rarer/more desired bottles they were not allocated. The “first come, first serve” rewards their enthusiasm as well.

Ideally, I would like the allocations determined based on past purchase history of each bottling or maybe varietal; so if a winery bottles say pinot noir, chardonnay, and cab, I would be able to maintain a full allocation of pinot while not purchasing the chardonnay or cab. If my tastes changed over time I could wish list something else and still have a shot, with my future allocation changing to reflect my changing tastes. However, I understand that many buyers vacillate in their purchases offer to offer and this would be a time-consuming and difficult system to implement. But I’m a dreamer

or restaurants.
+1

Anyone landing their helicopter at the vineyard gets first dibs.

Since i really like buying what i want, when i want… i don’t generally like any allocation system.

I deal with allocations b/c they sell me wines i can’t buy elsewhere generally… if i can, i wouldn’t be on the allocation system :wink: So yah Rhys seems to do a great job… just classy operation end to end.

In general though, it’s more of me putting up with an allocation system than any of them being really ‘great’…
(i stress we’re talking about the ‘system’ here not the ‘wine’ themselves).

Retail.

^ this.