What is the new Saxum

Based on the cost of Saxum now being $100 a bottle, whats the alternative.

Everyone always says there are loads of great wines at $20-$50 well which ones would replace the depth of flavour and complexity of a Saxum at the lower price

Villa Creek.

New Saxum: 1 part mega purple, 1 part motor oil, 1 part vodka. Mix well.

Nicora

David is jaded and world-weary. Donā€™t listen to him.

I note that you did not say I was wrong. :wink:

Iā€™ve never had Saxum, so Iā€™m not exactly sure what would be most similar to them. Among wines with ripe, delicious fruit but that I still consider balanced in their own ways, have you tried Turley, Carlisle, Villa Creek, Denner, Scherrer, Tercero, or Big Basin?

Maybe try some wines like that and create a blind tasting or two with a bottle of Saxum in the mix, see if you really end up finding that Saxum is worth the premium. Maybe you will, maybe you wonā€™t.

Listen to David !!! MOā€™ 4 ME !! champagne.gif [cheers.gif] [wow.gif]

Booker?

I think the new Saxum is going to have to be from somewhere else and will put that location on the map. Otherwise itā€™s just going to be a Saxum wannabe if the winery is emulating the Saxum formula.

Wineries currently using James Berry fruit include Carlisle, Pax, Villa Creek, and Linne Calodo.

In terms of pure density of fruit and concentration Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s another ā€œSaxumā€ in Paso Robles. The Denner Syrah might be close but might be ā€œfresherā€ based on recent vintages and less condensed on the palate than Saxum.

Some of Villa Creek does produce some bottlings with James Berry fruit that has a similar characteristic but his Grenache/Mourvedre cuvees have gone in a more tannic, brighter profile direction.

So hereā€™s an honest to goodness question - if the OP is asking for wineries in the $20-50 range, why are folks pushing wineries that are over that amount? Just curious.

To me, there are a few that I would look towards:

Jaffurs - always overdelivers for the $$$ and with their very attractive ā€˜futuresā€™ program, their wines definitely fit what you are looking for

Carlisle - tough to beat for the money. Period

Bedrock - see Carlisle . . .

Keplinger - Iā€™ve been very impressed with the few bottles Iā€™ve had thus far

Scherrer - fabulous wines at fabulous prices . . . nuf said.

Tablas Creek - Heck to the Yeah!

Broc Cellars

Anything Ed Kurtzman is involved with . . .

I really dig what Cris Cherry is doing at Villa Creek and I think his wines are some of the prettiest wines in the Paso area, but many of his offerings are north of $50. Seems like ALL of Bookerā€™s offerings are; as are many of Linne Calodos . . .

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

keplinger is north of $60 for most offerings; tablas creek is a far different style than saxum.

Torrin

Alban? A little bigger, needs more time. More expensive. I honestly think Saxum is a great QPR. Unfortunately. I love it, I buy. It just cuts down my kids inheritance, but they have a happy dad!

My sonā€™s favorite wine is Saxum. It may cut into his inheritance, but heā€™s not complaining.

I donā€™t think Jaffurs is the next Saxum. Jaffurs is better. [snort.gif]

McPrice Myers is putting out a similar portfolio at about half the price. Booker, Torrin, Epoch, etc are all making similar wines to Saxum, but they are similarly priced.

I am really surprised that Terry Hoage had not been mentioned. I think it is the best kept secret (until now :slight_smile:. in Paso