TNs: Three whites from Pacherhof

Somewhat straightforward on the palate, although it does have a nice finishing note. Okay, and a good match for the sticky humidity we’ve been having on the East coast lately.

• 2012 Pacherhof Müller-Thurgau - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler (7/4/2014)
    Maybe a shade lighter in the glass than the Sauvignon; “cool” nose with white fruits and minerality.

More here than the Sauvignon; tart on the palate, reasonable persistence on the finish - in short, tasty with some added complexity/nuance, and also a refreshing pause from the high humidity.

• 2012 Pacherhof Pinot Grigio - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler (7/4/2014)
    Similar in color to the Muller-Thurgau; nose features some ripe/sweet white fruits - maybe right now the best nose of the three wines, although less complex than the MT.

Sweet & sour fruit on the palate - to complete the “theme”, also works pretty well with hot/sticky weather.

Posted from CellarTracker

Opened all three wines last night after we lost power, so didn’t really get a chance to focus on the wines “in the dark”, and decided to revisit with day 2 glasses this afternoon. I know that Italy is a great source of reasonably-priced, food-friendly white wine, but as much as I like other regions, I still think the Alto Adige produces the wines most “in tune” with my palate. These wines all feature adequate (or high, depending on your preference for these things) acidity, the wines are light-bodied and never really show any alcohol - in short, nice wines for lounging around on the deck in the summer. Perfect wines for pairing up with a chicken or tuna salad, other similar light fare, or simply by themselves.

Feelin’ the Pacherhof love Bob.
Cheers!

I got a mixed six pack of the 2011 Pacherhof from Rob recently. I love the Kerner - it develops nicely in the glass with minerality, lovely fruit notes, medium+ acidity and evolving complexity. A delicious summer wine. Next up to check out is the Sylvaner.

Don, I may be in the minority here, but I think Pacherhof does their best work with Sylvaner, and the VV cuvee is notably better/more complex than the regular. I think their Sylvaner, Kerner and Muller-Thurgau are all good wines year-in, year-out, and the Pinot Grigio is also quite nice. I find their riesling, gewurz and sauvignon to be something that can be okay, but I have to be in the mood for. I don’t know what the deal was with their Gruner Veltliner in 2011, but I found the wine to be borderline undrinkable.

Still, as you say, with Rob bringing in the entire line-up, it is a wine made for mixed case purchase, as you can really do a lot of “exploring” for very little coin.

Bob, I’m going to next check out both Sylvaners, will post my thoughts soon.

I couldn’t agree more on all points. And this thread reminds me that I need to reload soon. [cheers.gif]

Nice Chris! Love the Zappa avatar.
Curiously enough, in college, my nickname was Zappa for a few years after I quoted him at the opening ceremonies in front of the whole school:
“Modern politics is the entertainment branch of industry”.