Guess the score

No cheating!

“can’t get past the heat on the nose. quite unfocused, and mildly astringent. I’m finding that great Cali syrah is becoming harder and harder to find. The percentage of mediocrity out there is growing.”

Based solely on you asking, my guess is a relatively good score (90ish) although the tasting note describes a wine he/she did not like.

Shouldn’t this be a poll?

650?

If I wrote that, I would give it something in the low 70s or probably lower. I’m guessing that is not the case?

From that part of the note it should be in the low mid 70s. But it probably won’t be.

1. Ish.

87pts which isn’t a real surprise as anything under 90pts is plonk. [wink.gif] But he clicked on “I like this wine” [scratch.gif]

And he’s dead wrong about great California Syrah being harder to find.

Leaving aside the merits of whether numerical scores are helpful or not…I find most people, including many respected posters, assign a numerical score based on potential, rather than what’s in the glass. So a wine that is unfocused today, but has time to come together gets scored as if the flavors are harmonious. A tannic beast is graded as if the tannins have tamed, etc.

And then of course there’s bias – people tend to rate wines higher when they’ve purchased them, when they are expensive, etc.