Charles Smith named Food & Wine Winemaker of the Year 2009

I know its not thought of as much, but for 2009 F&W Magazine people have named Charles Smith Winemaker of theyear. Well deserved.

Good for him!
He had dinner at my restaurant a few times this week…a very knowledgeable and interesting guy. A bit larger than life, I don’t think many of the local desert rats knew what to make of him.

He is dangerous to drink with. You definitely have to bring it.

That Skull was wasted at SLONYC. The shit probably doubled in value now!

Wasted seems like the right word.

[welldone.gif] Good for him!! I love his wines.

Had the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time this past June and ended up doing a bunch of barrel tasting with Charles. He really has a bit of a mad scientist streak in him, but I am a big fan of his syrahs and tempranillo. Even got a chance to taste a pinot he has hanging out in barrel! [shock.gif]

Anyway, you captured my takeaway impression perfectly: a very knowledgeable and interesting guy… a bit larger than life.

Congrats, Charles!

Anyone tasted his 2007s???

Only the Boom Boom. May have been a bit bottle shocked as it had just been released, but I was disappointed compared to the 06. Lacked some weight, especially facing off against some of the 07 Rhones showing up. May revisit in a few more weeks to see if it wakes up.

07 Boom Boom Syrah and 07 Velvet Devil Merlot are my house wines, can’t be beat for the price.

The Boom Boom is from his Charles Smith lineup. Its a decent little $15 wine, but should not be confused the the mid range K’s. Nor should they be confused with his Royal City, Skull, et al.

We have the Boom Boom, arrived last week. Good wine, but I am looking for advice on the K stuff…

I had the '07 The Boy. very nice indeed. Notes here somewhere.
I have had most of the others within the last three vintages. Milbrandt is usually great. MCK is a great deal and choke full of syrah love. Morrison is another wonderful choice. Ovide is a great blend that needs time.

I dont think you can go wrong with any. the Royal City went from $80 pre-sale to $100. I think its one of the best I have ever sampled, and I sampled them all one time or another…

The Kung Fu Girl Reisling is a super QPR.

You should hire me as your cali/wash wine buyer… [tease.gif]

True dat. I killed a case this summer.

Why not just drink it, Mark?

Violence is clearly not necessary, in my opinion.

Good for him. I had the fortune of having him over to my place with one of his reps. Great guy and awesome wines. Definately a dangerous guy to drink with…

I purchased a bottle each of 2006 The Boy and The Creator on a whim a few months ago. Just getting into Washington wines. Any advice on holding or decanting time on these?

I haven’t had the 06 Boy in 10 months, but back then it was pretty much a pop and pour. It did develop nicely in the glass over time but was pretty darn good right out of the gate.

The creator is a baby. 2+ hours decant time.

I have to kill something, it’s my nature.